Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Mold in Basement

Hello - There is mold growing in my basement on all of the walls and some of the floor.  It is extremely damp and smells.  It looks like a long term fix would be to fix the basement completely and put new concrete, as the floor is always damp, maybe from condensation?  In the meantime, how can I fix the mold problem so that new mold doesn't grow and the smell is eliminated? Thanks in advance for any tips!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-06-20T14:32:39+0000  by JAlex910 JAlex910

what started as moldy drywall/paneled replacement turned into a nightmare. when i removed paneling and drywall it revealed a rodent home/passage way in insulation. after that was removed(i suggest treating any rodent debris as you would mold or asbestos) they had eaten a hole in the paneling between siding/brick wall and concrete foundation wall. needless to say the odor is throughout the house now but the thing that i am not sure about tackleing is replacing the rotten/eaten panels. any suggestions?

Posted 2013-04-03T05:36:36+0000  by greggw
Molds are part of the natural environment. It may begin growing indoors when mold spores land on surfaces that are wet. There are many types of mold, and none of them will grow without water or moisture. It is the #1 cause of allergy symptoms which could lead to serious health concerns; respiratory illnesses or even death. Proper inspection, testing and removal are essential to ensure a healthier, happier existence for you and your family.

A mold inspection is when a person looks for mold growth in a building. It is important to have inspection in your home to protect you and your family from the toxic diseases it will give. It is the most important first step in identifying a possible microbial contamination problem. After that you might feel mold testing is warranted if you couldn't find any mold.

Find out more at [url=http://www.funguyinspections.com]Certified Mold Inspection[/url]
Posted 2013-07-06T03:13:31+0000  by josephpiodos

We had about a 1/2 inch of water get into our half basement (2 walls are foundation and 2 are dywall) during very unusual heavy rains in Boulder, CO . About a week after cleaning it up we found that shaving cream like mold was growing on areas of the floor. We sprayed it with white vinegar, and after a few days about 30% of it started to grow back. We are also noticing in a few places the paint on the concrete floor is bubbling up and there apears to be mold under the bubbles. We are planning on spraying it again and buying a dehumidifier for the area. Do you recommend something other than vinegar? Should we scrape the paint on the floor and keep spraying or would you recommend something else. In a very dry environment like Colorado is there much concern that it will spread into living areas in the house?

 

Thanks for any guidance you can offer!

Posted 2013-10-04T19:05:03+0000  by TWrepair

What do I do if I have a musty smell and the basement is finished?

 

House has no sump pump and I started running a dehumidifer (past 3 weeks) but still smells (sometimes)

Posted 2013-11-07T04:00:01+0000  by airtas

Hello airtas!

 

The dehumidifier is the first step in the right direction ... reducing the moisture.

 

A dry environment will prevent mold and mildew from growing ... eliminating the odor.

 

You next step is to get the air moving ... use a floor fan or ceiling fan.

 

If you have two fans, place them on opposite sides of the room facing the same direction so they create a swirl of air around the room.

 

Finally, use a disinfecting cleaner that contains bleach to scrub the floors, walls, and ceilings.

 

Repeat this cleaning cycle every week or two.

 

As you begin to re-take control of your basement, you'll need to leave these moisture reducing measures in play.

 

Once clean and dry, you'll find the space much more appealing for everyday use.

Posted 2013-11-12T18:28:30+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+