Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Mother's Day and Martha's New Faux Collection Go Perfectly Together

Mother's Day is just around the corner!

What an outstanding time to let your children make a lasting memory for Mom!

The Martha products have been replaced with Ralph Lauren metallic paint and faux products.

They've actually just returned to the Store, and they are perfect for crafts as well as accents around your home.

Have a look!  Watch Our How-To Video

Containers are gallons or quarts.

Instructions vary by product, so take time to explore creative combinations and applications.

Happy Mother's Day

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-04-28T14:58:57+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL Pat_HD_ATL

Wow, I just noticed those paints the other day and felt like buying every single one.

I do lot's of projects and those look like they would be great for lot's of things.

Thanks for the tip "Pat in Paint", it's always great to learn new things.

Posted 2011-04-28T16:10:10+0000  by Dave_HD_OC

I need some help with the application of the glitter. I have paintered a 24" base coat in a flat coordinating grey to go with the silver glitter.  However, when I brush the glitter on the grey stripe it is very streaky and full of the brush strokes.  How do you recommend applying the martha stewart glitter to avoid the streaks and lines.  Are ther special brushes? Do I need wet the brush or is ther a special tool?

Thanking you in advance for your assistance

Posted 2011-08-18T15:56:07+0000  by weekdayz

Hey there weekdayz,

Sorry to hear about the streaks = /

What type of brush were you using that gave you that? When using a paint like this, I like to use a good synthetic type brush like a Nylon or Poly, because the filaments really help to grab the paint well and give it an even release. I personally used a Purdy Nylox brush when demo'ing this paint at my store. It gave me a nice even coat and very minimal strokes in the finish.

Martha does have a faux style roller that I've used to work with the glaze finishes, and that worked very well at giving me an even application. I haven't personally used it with the metallics, but I'll speak with Pat and perhaps he can weigh in on that particular one further. 

As far as wetting the brush, I'm surprised to hear another person knowing about that tip XD I learned that from an old pro years ago, and it helps greatly when having to clean your brushes later on. I do that anytime I use brushes to paint. It's just become common practice at this point, so getting in that habit is never a bad thing. Just be sure to wipe off excess water so that you don't water the paint down though.

Posted 2011-08-18T18:23:38+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

Thanks for the Call Out Jay!

You know Weekdayz, I read your question carefully and the first thing that strikes me is you said, "I have painted a 24" base coat in a flat coordinating grey ..."

The key word that pops out at me is "flat."

Almost every faux product I ever painted was applied over a satin or semi-gloss finish. However, Martha is an exception. She doesn't offer a satin and recommends eggshell instead.

Flat actually causes the faux material to embed into the finish too quickly ... the result often looks very streaky.

Another idea that comes to mind is use of a proper thinning media.

In the Paint Department, near the professional sprayers, you will find a product called Floetrol. 

Floetrol.jpg

This product comes in a quart and is an inexpensive thinner for water-based paints. Unlike thinning with water, it maintains the viscosity (thick body) of the paint and also increases the drying time. If your paint container says, "recoat in four hours," Floetrol will increase the drying time to almost six hours (increases timetable by 50 percent on most paints).

You gain two benefits: 1) the slower dry time allows the paint to self-level and smooth out (lose the brush marks), and 2) you gain additional time to "work" the paint on the surface.

The instructions say, "add eight ounces of Floetrol per gallon of paint." So a quart is more than enough for most DIYers.

Finally, your discussion of paint brushes is Right On!!!

Quality paint brushes have a reservoir from which the paint is released onto the surface. A quality paint job requires a reservoir filled with paint. Wetting the brush in advance fills the reservoir with fluid and makes it easier for the brush to "wick" paint into the reservoir.

So, keep wetting that brush in advance, use satin or semi-gloss as your base, and consider experimenting with Floetrol to improve your working time without making your paint watery.

NOTE: If you are ever painting cabinets with water-based paint, Floetrol will eliminate the brush marks and make your DIY results look like Pro results. TRY IT ... It is that good!!!

Posted 2011-08-18T19:43:39+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Thanks Jay

I am going to get one of the brushes you recommended and give it another try. As for the brush I used I am not so sure what it was made of  I had it had it in the closet. I will let you know how it goes.  Thanks for all of the help

Posted 2011-08-19T00:22:52+0000  by weekdayz

thanks Pat

I am off to home depot to get suppies and try again I am dtermined to get it to work

Have a great weekend

Posted 2011-08-19T18:53:55+0000  by weekdayz

Just following up Weekdayz,

What a coincidence ... one of my customers came to the Paint Pit yesterday and asked for help applying the ML Silver Shimmer glitter to her ceiling. The application was part of a total make-over of her room and she applied a satin finish pale silver/gray to the ceiling as a base-coat.

Basically, she blended a quart of ML Faux Glaze with the half-pint of ML Silver Shimmer and rolled the mixture over the satin base-coat after she cut-in with a brush.

The only problem she reported was the brush cut-in showed a hard edge (read about creating a "High Hat" in 02/24 entry about ML paints).

The simple fix would be to tape the top of the wall and use the roller all the way out to the edge of the ceiling ... instead of changing tools at the edge.

I hope her experience will help you complete your project.

We look forward to seeing your results!

Posted 2011-09-08T12:29:32+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+