Sign In to join the community | Help
Electrical

Moving/ Adding an outside motion sensor flood light...

A few years ago, I replaced an existing outdoor floodlight fixture with a motion sensitive flood light.   The location was under my entry deck stairwell.    The wiring box and flood light are original to the building, so the wiring box is flush mounted to the exterior wall wood paneling.

I want to tap power from the existing wiring box, and move the motion sensitive flood light 3 feet to the left and add another motion sensitive flood light about 10 feet to the right of the box.   I want to run the electrical wiring surface mounted along the wall using conduit.  

1.  Is there a cover I can place on the existing wiring box, that has ports for connecting 2 conduits to be run from it?    That will go from a flush mount wiring box to surface mount conduit?

2.  Can someone give me a recommendation for the types of conduit I should be using?   If possible I want to use Non-metallic conduit, is there a system or brand that I should be looking at?

Thanks,

George
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-01-17T00:06:28+0000  by glouie glouie

Hi George,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community.

You can use what is called a box extender that is exterior-rated for your existing junction box to make it surface mounted for it and the conduit running out of it.

1-Gang Metallic Round Box Extension with 4 1/2 in. Holes

The box extender has plugs for the holes you don't need. You will just need an outdoor blank cover, sold next to it in the same area at your local Home Depot. 

As for your conduit, you can use PVC, which is obviously non-metallic. However, you will need to check with any local electrical codes to ensure you can use it as well as the box extender above to ensure it can work and is code compliant.

Always refer to a local electrician if you have any specific installation questions.

At the end of the day, if you use the box extender and an exterior grade conduit alongside making sure all connections are water-tight, then you can move and add the fixtures.

Let us know if you have any further questions,

Joseph

Posted 2017-01-20T15:41:24+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+