Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Mushrooms in lawn

I live in Littleton, CO and for the past 4 or 5 years I have been having problems with mushrooms growing in my lawn.  The lawn is very thick and lush and I have tried not watering as much as normal and picking them as I see them, but they continue to come back.  Is there any product I can use that will kill the mushrooms without killing the grass?  One other thing, prior to 5 years ago I didn't have this problem!

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-07-13T05:58:04+0000  by gixxer01 gixxer01

Hey gixxer01.

Having mushrooms in the lawn is simply the sign of a very fertile lawn and lots or rain and excessive moisture. Mushrooms produce thousands of spores that are released into your lawn, therefore getting rid of mushrooms would be nearly impossible, long term.

If it helps, mushrooms do have some benefits to the lawn, like breaking down dead and decomposing organic matter. Excessive shade is also a factor with mushrooms.  Lets be real though. Nobody wants mushrooms in the lawn, in fear that our dogs or children might get curious and eat one and they just look bad. The only thing that you can do is to pick up the mushrooms and dispose of them. It does not mean that you will not get more coming up next time it rains for 3 days straight.

There are ways to possibly slow the progression of mushrooms however. Since we know that mushrooms require decaying organic matter (leaves, grass clippings, mulch and sticks etc.) to live, then by simply removing these, you will slow the progression of mushrooms. Some organic matter is good for your lawns, therefore prevention can work against your lawn.

Posted 2013-07-14T13:12:29+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+