Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

My Little dogs name?

I want to build a kind size platform bed that sits about 6 inches or so off the floor.  Nothing fancy.  I plan on painting it not staining it.  I was trying to get it together this week. My husband is deployed overseas and comes back for 2 weeks on the 17th of Nov. I really need to get a move on.   I have help with the cutting of the wood.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-11-11T16:01:49+0000  by Trialdog22 Trialdog22

A platform bed (or floating frame) is nothing more than a base that holds a panel to support a mattress.  

platform bed.jpg

You will get your dimensions for the panel from the size mattress or pad you intend to use.  I would use a thick 3/4 inch plywood for support.

The base can be constructed out of 2x6 boards with a support in the middle.

Top View

base.jpg

Attach the panel to the base with screws (so it can be removed) leaving no more than 6-8 inches to hang over the edge.

You may want to add a side rail around the panel to prevent the mattress from moving around. Attach a 1x2 or 1x3 with nails and wood glue. 

platform bed rails.jpg

Posted 2013-11-11T19:09:31+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL

Kevin is right with the how to.  I might suggest that you will need 2 sheets of plywood to get the size you need.  Cut one in half and use the 2' pieces on the outside.  The other will be ripped to the width needed to finish the job.

Hint:  round the corners liberally.  The mattress is rounded and the corners bite.  Don't ask me how I know.  I don't have an edge on mine to hold the mattress and it stays in place fine and is easy to tuck in the sheets. 

Have fun

Posted 2013-11-11T21:37:16+0000  by jimcq

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+