Sign In to join the community | Help
Bath & Faucets

My Toilet is loose

My Toilet is loose and the floor around it is soft how can i repaie it       Ty Joe Clisham

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-03-15T14:12:32+0000  by JoeClisham JoeClisham

Hey there JoeClisham,

Thanks for joining our community!~

Sorry to hear about the issues with the toilet, but let's see if we can't get everything back to level with this!~ = )

First I'd like to address the issue of the "soft floor." It's a bit strange to hear the two words used in the same sentence, unless you're talking about carpet. What type of flooring is this? Soft spots in floors are usually signs of subfloor issues, namely water issues that have left it soft in certain spots, a sure sign of bad things to come.

Humor me if you would and check to make sure that you don't have a leak in your toilet that is seeping from the base. Add a drop or two of food coloring to the tank and check to see if any colored water seeps from the base of the toilet, this is my guess for why you're having floor issues. This can either be caused by worn out wax ring, or cracks in the base of the toilet.

While I'll help you out with getting the toilet back into it's normal secure state, I'd highly recommend we go more into the flooring issue first if need be.

The toilet being loose can be a number of different things. From the sounds of the problem stated above though, I would imagine it's because your flooring is no longer level.

However if that's not the case, you'll want to check some other things.

1. Check to see that the mounting bolts on the base of the toilet are secured tight enough. Take caution not to overtighten them as this can cause the base to crack. If these are still snug, then you may need to level out the toilet itself.
  2. If leveling is what you need, then toilet shims are what you need! Place these underneath the toilet in areas where it raises from the floor until you achieve a level state. Then you can trim the excess of the shim with a sharp razor blade from a knife. You'll then caulk around the base of the toilet to make sure that everything is water-tight, and be good to go!

Hopefully this helps remedy your problem. As I said, I'd like to hear more about this flooring issue, so please reply back when you can so we can dive a bit more into this!~ Thanks

Just Ask Mr. Jay Blog.png

Posted 2012-03-15T16:58:19+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI
Thanks i think i need i need to replace the floor under the toilet how can i do this and how far from the wall should i make the hole for the toilet flange some one told me i could split the new flooring in half and place it under the flang will this work TY Joe
Posted 2012-03-22T17:21:21+0000  by JoeClisham

Heya Joe,

Good to hear from you again!

Repairing the subflooring itself is a bit of a larger job, but definitely nothing past the realm of possibility. I'll try and list off all the appropriate materials for you so that it can help get you on the right track.

As far as your second question, where should the flange be, this you won't have to worry about. You're not actually moving the plumbing itself, you're only taking up the existing flange so that you expose the closet bend below it. You can use the old subfloor as a guide for where to drill the hole for the new sub, so don't worry about having to do the math. I wouldn't recommend splitting the flooring and using that as a way of placing the new subflooring in...as you're pretty much creating your own structural weakness by doing that.

Materials:

You'll need to be careful in doing this procedure, as you run the risk of accidentally cutting into your joists as well as the closest bend pipe. Proper safety precautions such as gloves and eyewear are a must as always, and absolutely ensure that the water line is OFF before removing the toilet itself.

Once you've gotten down to the flange itself, you'll need to work at removing it before you can address the subfloor itself. The removal step will vary depending on if you have a 4" female flange or a 3" male flange.

• Female

You'll need to use your mini hacksaw to cut through the metal or plastic ring around your flange. Since they vary between materials, I'm not sure what yours is made out of. Once it's cut through, pry up the ring with your flathead screwdriver and put the piece aside. You'll then expose your closet bend and sewer coupling. Should you see the coupling that is attached to the bend, you'll need to remove it. You can carefully pry it off with your screw driver, or use your mini hacksaw to cut through the coupling. Take caution not to break or puncture your closet bend however.

• Male

Drill a few holes into the concave area of the flange. Use these openings to bring your mini hacksaw into and cut the flange off. Again, you'll expose the closet bend and be able to remove the coupling. Take the same precautions as in the last step to remove this piece.

You'll then need to remove the area that needs replacing. Square it out using your carpenter square and mark the flooring where it needs to be cut. Your best bet is to cut it so that your cuts line up just above the joists parallel with the toilet, exposing half of the joist so that it can be used for support. Using your circular saw, place it on a setting that is the thickness of your subflooring, so that you will not cut through the actual joists. Average height is about 3/4".

Place support struts perpendicular to your joists, so that they line up in the same fashion, with half of the depth exposed for mounting room. They need to fit snug between your joists, and be secured to the rest of the subfloor with deck screws. Use your cut out piece as a template for your new subfloor replacement section...it's important to make sure that your new piece is the same thickness as your current subflooring. Template out the hole for your flange, and secure the new subflooring down with both a subfloor adhesive as well as decking screws.

At this point, you'll reglue your new flange in place to your closet bend. When you're placing the new flange, make sure that the flange is seated securely and that the mounting recesses are positioned at 3 and 9 o'clock (direction wise that is)

From here it's just a matter of putting your toilet hardware back in and then tossing the toilet back on!~

Like I said, it's a bit of a job but it's definitely doable. If you have any more questions about it, let us know and we'll discuss it more = )

Posted 2012-03-22T19:18:42+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+