Sign In to join the community | Help
Heating & Cooling

My kitchen has 2 florescent lights that I want to replace. I don't want to spend a lot of money

because I plan to remodel the kitchen next year.  The lights are in a recessed area about 12 inches deep.  What do I need to consider when choosing the lighting?  I think two tracks light would do it but don't know if that's the best solution.  How do I determine the number of lights to buy and the best type for this area?  Thanks for any suggestions. 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-10-19T16:52:18+0000  by MCMCC MCMCC

Good afternoon MCMCC,

Thank you for question and welcome to the community!

I'm glad you are in the position of planning what lights you want in the kitchen versus buying something in a hurry and later regretting it.

I will say that for your kitchen, you'll need to ask yourself a few questions in order for you to get the right light.

• How large or small is the area you want to light up? Having measurements is crucial for the proper lighting.
  • Do you have a preference for bright task lighting or simply accent/ambient type lighting?
  • Are there other light sources in the room or adjacent room? This can mean a window during the day or a dining room nearby.

Once you have asked yourself these questions, you can then simply narrow your choices down to just that....choices.

Since there isn't a wrong or right way to get lighting in your kitchen, it will need to meet at least one criteria. That is for it to provide good, even lighting in there. Thats not to say you still may need extra lighting for where you work the most, like an undercabinet light. If you already have that, then disregard.

Here's some images and info on the most popular choices when it comes to lighting up your kitchen.

Replacing your fluorescent light with another doesn't have to be the same drab lighting you have now. Theres plenty of new, contemporary and many other choices of designs. Basically, you can have an energy efficient light as well as a new look. Below are some examples.

Cambridge 1-1/2 ft. x 4 ft. Fluorescent Ceiling FixtureRigby 4-Light Flush-Mount Bronze Fluorescent Fixture

Using recessed lighting is also a very popular choice when it comes to lighting up a space. The only real drawback to this is having to physically cut holes and wire the fixtures together in your ceiling. While this is the most labor-intensive of all the other options, it also gives you the most clean appearance.

To read more about choosing recessed can lighting for your kitchen, click on the image of them below for more info.

proper spacing of recessed lighting

You mentioned track lighting, which is a great choice. At most of our stores, we are currently going through an update on our track light selections. Just like the recessed lights, we carry an abundance of choices in style and more energy efficient models available.

You don't have to stick with just fixed track systems either, we carry a big selection in stock and online of curved tracks too. Click on the ones below for pricing and more information.

4-Light Brushed Steel Wave Bar Track Lighting Fixture with Cylinder Glass Shades5-Light 10 ft. Antique Bronze Retro Pinhole Flexible Track Lighting KitLinear Track Kit with 3 GU10-16 Pinhole Cylinders Brushed Steel Finish

There are other fixtures you can use like pendants and flush-mount lights as well. This would require you to place more junction boxes in the ceiling. These come in a variety of styles and shapes.

Manhattan 1 Light Satin Nickel Halogen PendantGlam Topaz Collection Beads Hanging Pendant2-Light Brushed Nickel Flushmount (2-Pack)Eclipse Collection Brushed Steel 4-light Semi-flushmount

With all these choices, it really comes down to the three questions shown earlier in this post. Once you have answered them, and with proper planning, you can use any of the lights we've discussed.

It actually is a culmination of your lighting needs and style preference that will dictate what will light up your kitchen.

Let me know if you have any further questions, and I hope this information has assisted you

Joseph

Posted 2013-10-19T18:38:26+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+