Sign In to join the community | Help
Appliances

Answered

My landlord installed a new Rheem electric water heater without a discharge line. Isn't this incomp

My landlord installed a new Rheem electric water heater Model # 84V402.  The instructions show a discharge line is needed, but he says it is not necessary.  Which is correct?  Thank you!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-01-21T18:03:33+0000  by myb myb

Thank you for your answer and diagram.  I contacted my landlord and plumber again, both saying the discharge line is not necessary.  Then, I  got your email, so could speak more confidently about the need for the discharge line.  The plumber came rifght out and installed the pipe!

Thank you so much for your help!

Best Answer

Posted 2014-01-23T23:07:46+0000  by myb

Hello myb.  Welcome to the Community!

In my experience, there is always a discharge pipe on waters heaters to move water coming out the pressure relief valve safely to a drain location.  Typical instructions for this are shown below:

Water Heater.png

Heater2.png

The final word on this requirement must come from your local building inspector.  Local codes do vary, and though I would be surprised to learn that this discharge line is not necessary in your area, it is possible.  A phone call to your local inspector during normal business hours should clear this up for you.

Is this what you are looking for?

Chris.

Posted 2014-01-21T21:36:44+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+