Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

My lawn

We laid down sod 3 years ago.  I have had a lovely lawn , but this year I am getting these patches of light green grass that look like they are going to seed just right after you cut  the lawn. I don't know what it is but it is starting to take over. Does anyone know what it is or how to get rid of it.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-04-16T07:28:22+0000  by craftygranny craftygranny

Hi craftygranny,

Thank you for your question and welcome to our community.  Without more information on this one, I can only guess what this new addition to your lawn might be.  Crab grass is the first thing that comes to mind but, you said it looks like the plant is going to seed after you cut your lawn.  Can you take a picture of this problematic intruder to your lawn and post it with you question?  What type of lawn did you put in?  What area of the country do you live in?  Different parts of the United States will have different types of weeds ad weedy grasses. 

Unless you have been using a “Pre-Emergence” on your lawn, you have probable had numerous weed seeds brought in by various means including, birds, cats, dogs, other two and four legged critters as well as your own car and other visitors, both man and beast.  One solution is to dig the invading plant out, re-seed the area and then use a pre-emergence in early spring and a weed and feed throughout the year to help keep these types of plants under control.  Without more information such as a picture of the weedy grass, I can only surmise what the solution might be.  The Bayer Company has a product that will target Bermuda type grass as well as one that targets the broad leafed plants in your lawn.  Bayer Season Long also has a pre-emergence which can keep the weed seeds from germinating for up to 6 months. It comes in a handy hose end sprayer for ease of use.

Bayer Season Long Weed Control.jpgBayer Crabgrass Control Concentrate.jpg

Amaze%AE+Grass+and+Weed+Preventer.jpgBayer Bermuda Grass Control for lawns.jpgScotts Halts, Crabgrass Preventer.jpg

Vigoro Weed Stop.jpgVigoro Crab Grass Preventer.jpg

The Vigoro Weed Stop and the Scotts Halt s must be applies early spring after the first mow, late winter or fall.  These two products cannot be applied once the ground temperature ha risen about 55 degrees. Check with your local Home Depot for other selections for your area.

Crab Grass2CAQ3ZZ7N.jpg                        bermuda-grass-pictures-2.jpg

The above pictures are of Crabgrass and of Bermuda grass which can also be considered a weed depending on the type of grass you have.

I hope that this gives you some information that will be useful in case you are not able to get a picture of it to me.  Check with your local Home Depot Garden Department and bring in a sample of the weed.  This will make it easier to identify.   

This has been another of,

Posted 2012-04-17T16:50:36+0000  by Rick_HD_OC

Excellent advice Rickspicks!  I would love to see a picture of the intruder.

Does it look like either of these?

bluegrass_annual.jpg

Annual Bluegrass

Nutsedge.jpg

Nutsedge

Posted 2012-04-17T17:35:11+0000  by Jen_HD_BOS

Hi Grow2girl,

That is the million dollar bonus question, depending on the location of the lawn.  Your welcome additions could very well be on of the dreaded culprits.  Thank you for your pics!  I hope maybe one of those might be what we are looking for!

:smileyhappy:

Posted 2012-04-17T17:40:42+0000  by Rick_HD_OC

I have the same issue. I live in Atlanta with a front lawn of Bermuda & a back yard of  really bad Bermuda, First year Bermuda in the back yard was great. Lush & thick and looked great. Second year, was bad as only about 1/2 emerged. Last summer , nothing .

I am seriously considering going back to Fescue since at least it green until the summer heat hits it. Any thoughts?

Posted 2013-03-27T22:01:33+0000  by PaymentsGuy

Hey PaymentsGuy.

This is Greengiant from the Home Depot in Hiram, west of Atlanta. I too have Bermuda Grass and know how frustrating it can be at times.

Bermuda is a sun loving grass that can tolerate no shade and does not like being under the thinnest of hardwood trees. Is your back yard shady?

Our Georgia clay also gets hard as a rock and requires core aeration every year. With Core aeration comes having to put down pelletized lime also. Georgia soil is so acidic that our grass can not absorb available nutrients without lime which will fix soil pH, bringing it towards neutral. Here in Georgia, it is required that you put down lime in the spring and fall in order for our Bermuda to thrive.

If you have shade, there are still better options than Fescue. There are many really good Hybrid Zoysia grasses that tolerate shade and Centipede grass does fine with filtered sun, caused by pine trees and fine with the acidic soil pines create.

Tell me about your yard and lets come up with a solution.

Posted 2013-04-04T18:08:15+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+