Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

My lawn

Hi,

I moved into a rental a year and a half ago. I noticed when I moved in the in the front yard I had about 4 large bald spots about the size of my foot. This summer there are more and I noticed them throughout the back yard! They are separate semi round spots that have no grass just dirt but they are not "holes," so I wouldn't categorize them as made by a mole, but I've never seen a mole hole. I'd like to fix it but not sure how or what it is caused by. Should I just ask a lawn company to come and take a look? I live on the olympic peninsula in washington state.

lisa

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-10-20T17:53:07+0000  by lworthey lworthey

Hey Iworthey

That is certainly a beautiful place that you live. I was there on vacation last year and it is certainly unforgettable. You should be in zone 8, so it is likely that you have Fescue, Centipede, St. Augustine , Bermuda or Zoysia. If it is extremely rainy in your area then it is more than likely a fungus, which is caused by excessive moisture and thatch in your lawn. Because it is spreading I suspect that is a fungus. Another possibility could be insects eating the roots of your grass, for some insects have a tendency to colonize.

Fungus in the lawn will continue to spread until you apply a fungicide on it. The Home Depot has a couple different kinds that I would recommend.

fungus.jpgimmunox.png

If you suspect that it is insects then I would recommend using a product like the Spectracide Triazacide or the Ortho Max.

ortho (1).jpgtriazicide.jpg

Products can vary in different markets, but if you swing by the store and the PRO in the garden department can get you hooked up with the proper product. Take a picture of your lawn and post it for me so I can identify it and can give you an exact, more detailed answer.

Posted 2011-10-20T19:07:47+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL

Thank yo so much. I can take the picture not sure if i can post it. Computer down. But i will do my best. Meanwhile I will go pick up the products you mentioned. Thank you sooooo much. I'll get back to you and let you know how it goes.

Posted 2011-11-14T19:23:07+0000  by lworthey

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+