Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

My lawn has died.

I used to have grass in my back yard now there is just dirt. When it rains its like a mud bath back there.  I just dont know how to get my grass to grow. or at least get it started. can someone step by step me to success. Thanks in advance!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-07-08T21:58:13+0000  by MaroonSoldier MaroonSoldier

Here are the steps for putting a new lawn:

1) Take a Shovel and Mattock to the old lawn and dig down about 2-4 inches down.

2) Now you would need to create a "grade" this slight angle is so the water has somewhere to go.

3) Use a seed spreader/broadcaster to evenly drop the seed on your soil.

4) Cover the seed with about a half inch of seeding soil to help it germinate quickly.

5) Water the new seed twice a day for two weeks and there you go...the new lawn will be peeking out from the ground.

You have other choices like:

A) Plant Tall Fescue seed to have new grass. If you decide to plant seed you will need: the seed, topping soil, and shovel.

B) Order Sod at you local Home Depot at least a week before you decide to install it. Besides the Sod you will need Topper

C) Install a Synthetic Lawn. The new types look just like real grass...really. You usually can order it installed or buy the materials from The Home Depot.

D) Groundcover is a great alternative to a lawn. Plants like; Hostas, Pachysandra, Leptinella, Veronica repens, and others are available depending on your location. I recommend low growing plants to keep a uniform look.

After you've decided what you want to do you'll need to get the; seed, sod, materials, or plants needed.

Tip: Do not simply till old turf in with the underlying soil. This can lead to a number of future lawn problems such as fungus growth and it makes it harder to grade the soil.

Happy Gardening,

Posted 2013-07-08T22:24:29+0000  by Dave_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+