Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

My lawn is a bed of weeds. How do I restablish a lawn?

My lawn is a bed of weeds.  I think my lawn maitenance Guy is embarassed to have to cut it.  How do I replant a lawn from seed?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-04-09T15:28:05+0000  by joannlambert075 joannlambert075

Hi joannlambert075,

Thank you for your question and welcome to our community.  If you want to replant your lawn with grass seed, there are several steps you will want to follow:

1. Tell your gardener that he is on vacation for the next 2 months, unless you want him to do the work.
  2. Use a weed killer to kill off all the weeds or use a weed and grass killer/non-selective herbicide, to kill off the whole lawn.
  3. After all the greenery has died, remove the remaining dead material using a Garden Rake or a four tine Cultivating Tool.
  4. Water the lawn again and then kill off anything that grows back.
  5. Repeat this process 3-4  more times.
  6. Each time you repeat this process, you will be killing off more and more weed seeds.  The more weed seeds you can get rid of, the less competition you grass seeds will have. 

Depending on where you live, directions on this next step will vary.  On the East Coast it is recommended that the next step should be to:

1. Use an aerating machine in the yard
  2. Cover the area with 1 inch of a good topper
  3. Use a spreader to apply the seed
  4. Cover the grass seed with about 1/8 to no more than 1/4 inch of topper
  5. Add a “Starter Fertilizer” over the topper
  6. Keep the area damp but hot wet
  7. The grass seeds should germinate in the next 10 to 14 days
  8. Once the grass gets about 3-4 inches high, usually in about 3-4 weeks, cut the grass down to about 2 inches high with a newly sharpened lawn mower blade.

On the West Coast we recommend:

1. Once all the grass and weeds have been removed, use a Rototilling machine in the yard to break up and loosen the soil.
  2. Add a good quality soil amendment over the top of the ground, usually 2-4 inches
  3. Rototill this material into the ground to a depth of 6-8 inches or deeper.
  4. Cover the area with 1 inch of a good topper
  5. Use a spreader to apply the seed
  6. Cover the grass seed with about 1/8 to no more than 1/4 inch of topper Add a “Starter Fertilizer” over the topper
  7. Keep the area damp but hot wet

The grass seeds should germinate in the next 10 to 14 days

8. Once the grass gets about 3-4 inches high, usually in about 3-4 weeks, cut the grass down to about 2 inches 

high using a newly sharpened lawn mower blade.  A newly sharpened lawn mower blade will cut the new grass 

cleanly and not pullout any new grass by the newly formed root system.

I am a fan of using the Rototiller so that nutrients can be added to the soil, but then, we have a lot of sandy loam here on the West Coast.

If you do not have an automatic sprinkler system in your yard yet, this would be a great time to add one since the yard is dug up anyway.  This is can be done as a first step or the last step after you have added your soil amendments and rototilled your yard.  The safest way to do this is as a first step so you do not risk damaging your new sprinkler line.

You can also just use a Weed Killer on your lawn, wait for a week, pull up the dead weeds, water the lawn and then re-seed.  This is by far the easiest way but you will still have to have your gardener not cut your lawn for a couple of weeks to give the new grass seed a chance to grow.

Be sure to take pictures of your project and share them with us in the “Project Library” under I Did This. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

This has been another of,

Posted 2013-04-09T18:50:55+0000  by Rick_HD_OC

Awesome info for me here on the Westcoast.  I live in Aloha Oregon, where the dirt is "clay." 

Posted 2014-01-25T14:17:17+0000  by Spaz

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+