Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

My lawn is thinning out

Hello I live in Miami, FLorida and last year I laid down some Sapphire St. Augustine sod in the spring. For a year it looked great but for the last month or so there are areas of dying and thinning grass. I'm watering about an inch per week and keeping it mowed at about 2 1/2 to 3 inches and feeding it Milorganite about every couple of months. Theres some shade in a couple of the areas but there are a few areas that are thinning out that are in full sun. How do I get my lawn back to its lush, green look that it had before? What could have cause this?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-06-23T17:11:30+0000  by Dangon Dangon

Hello Dangon. Ken here in the Chicago area. Good to hear from you again!!!

Sorry to hear about your turfgrass. St. Augustine can handle a ph from 5.0-8.5

so that isn’t the problem. Your grass does develop a very thick thatch that

inhibits water penetration into the soil. You must dethatch your lawn using a

dethatching blade on your lawnmower.

Universal Power Rake 6-in-1 Blade 16 in. Universal Dethatching Blade

It could also be St. Augustine Decline, a virus that is not curable. What you do

Is replant those areas with a resistant variety of St. Augustine like Floralawn,

Floratam, Raleigh, or Seville. I will ask my buddy in Atlanta to chime in tomorrow

with any ideas he has to help out.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Posted 2013-06-24T14:40:05+0000  by Ken_HD_CHI

Thank you for the reply. I'll try doing some de-thatching. I really really hope it isnt an uncurarable virus. Is there any way to test for that? I got the Sapphire because it was supposed to be so hearty.

Posted 2013-06-24T21:22:27+0000  by Dangon

Hi Dangon, 

Look for insects in the root zone, such as grubs and other root eaters. Dig up several 4" plugs and examine the soil from the affected areas. If bugs are prevailant, apply an insecticide like Triazicide or GrubEx to the sod.

Spectracide Triazicide 10 lb. Insect Killer GranulesScotts GrubEx Ready-to-Use Grub Killer

If the area is too wet, the grass might be suffering. Improving the drainage in the area can fix that.

The disease issues can be SAD, or St. Augustine Decline, or it can be other fungus related issues. Read more about these issues here.

Travis

Posted 2013-06-25T13:48:08+0000  by Travis_HD_ATL

After a little digging I found a pretty good amount of these little millipede critters. about an incha and a half long that curl up when you disturb the soil. I searched in 6 different places in the yard and there was always at least one sometime two. I took a few pictures but non were detailed enough to upload so I uploaded a couple of pictures of the lawn. One of the pictures is a plug I bought at HomeDepot to show you the color difference with the surrounding lawn, the other is one of the trouble spots in my lawn.

photo 2.JPG

photo 1.JPG

Posted 2013-06-29T16:14:33+0000  by Dangon

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+