Sign In to join the community | Help
Electrical

My new (to me) dryer has 4 prong cord, house has 3 prong outlet.

My new (to me) dryer has 4 prong cord, house has 3 prong outlet. Can I swap the 3 prong cord from my old dryer with my new dryer, or do I need to buy new?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-06-14T01:13:20+0000  by CarrieP CarrieP

You'd want to check the manufacturer's instructions to be sure but generally dryers can be wired for either three or four wires.  When you attach the three wire cord, you want to carefully follow the instructions for making the connections.  There is a connection  that needs to be made that bonds the chassis of the dryer to the neutral wire.
Posted 2015-06-14T08:37:02+0000  by Adam444
Hello CarrieP.  Welcome to the Community!

I would buy a new 3 prong cord rather than reuse the old one.  As Adam said, you will need to reinstate the ground connection that attached to the middle (neutral) terminal.  When your dryer was new, there was a ground wire available to do this installed at the factory.  When the dryer was installed with a modern 4 prong cord, that wire would have been disconnected, but it could also have been removed as well.  If you remove the cover on the back of your old dryer, you should see the ground connection we are talking about.
Newer homes have 4 prong outlets which isolate the dryer chassis from neutral and connect the chassis directly to ground,  Older homes with 3 prong outlets are grandfathered in so that a new dryer can be used if hooked up properly.  If your new dryer does not have that ground wire anymore, you must install a new one.

Chris.

Posted 2015-06-16T16:54:55+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+