Sign In to join the community | Help
Tools & Hardware

My saw plug broke!

The 3 prong plug on my saw broke and I cannot use it anymore. Do they have a replacement I can buy at the store?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2010-10-10T16:03:41+0000  by samsambuca samsambuca

So, Sam, you broke the plug? That is only a minor hitch in your giddy-up, and shouldn’t slow you down too much. All you need to do is get down to The Home Depot and by a new plug. It’s just a matter of stripping back some of the wire and attaching the new plug. The plugs have screws to attach the wire and it’s a simple fix. Just make sure to hook the wires up properly, the plug will have directions in the box as to what goes where. While you’re at it, you can add some length to your cord if you need to, two or three feet if you think that might help. The reason being, that you can damage the cord by pulling it too tight at an angle, causing it to break at the plug. Only add a little length, though, too much could be just as bad. I’ve got a grinder that I’ve broken the plug on, and cut the cord on twice (yes, even we make mistakes… so snicker if you must) so I added some extra cord to accommodate the receptacle to work space distance because an extension cord would be in the way.

By the way, if you don’t have any wire strippers, now would be a good time to invest in some, because if you use your tools often, this will happen from time to time…. But that just means you’re working hard.

Posted 2010-10-10T17:11:34+0000  by TheHammer

for the rest of the states you can simply go to your local hardware store and buy a replacement plug with the correct rating, and install it on the cord end 

Edited per guidelines: Be respectful. Please be courteous

Posted 2010-11-15T04:00:23+0000  by GuItArReApEr

Many years ago when I first started working on projects, a friend of mine purchased a new circular saw.  The first thing he did before using it was to open it up and chop down the standard cord to a liitle over 18".  He did this so that he would need to use an extension cord, with the justification that if he accidently chopped the cord, it would be the extension cord (much easier to replace on the job) and not the saw cord (creaing more downtime).  While I prefer to just keep a sharp eye on my cords at all times (never cut or nicked a cord in 20+  years - knock on wood), the idea has merit.

Something to consider when you repair/replace your cord.

Posted 2010-12-21T19:28:34+0000  by GrueMaster

GrueMaster, that is a great tip and deserves a bump. 

I sometimes work in our store's Tool Rental Center, and this technique ends up saving a lot of time and money, and keeps our tools ready to rent when our customers need them. 

(you can also terminate all your tools with a twist-lock connector, that matches up with your twist lock extension cords [If perhaps you weren't fond of other people on your job site "borrowing" your power tools])  :smileywink:

Posted 2010-12-23T17:06:05+0000  by BlakeTheDiyGuy

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+