Sign In to join the community | Help
Plumbing

My toilet is leaking from the drain pipe connected to the main drain.How do I fix it?

I am sure it's from that lead piece of pipe that connects the flenge to the main drain.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-07-31T12:08:15+0000  by forde forde

Hello forde.

By far the most common way a toilet will leak down the outside of the drain pipe is due to failure of the wax ring seal.  The wax ring forms a gasket between the bottom of the toilet and the top of the drain flange.  If this ring leaks, water will likely go around the flange and down the outside of the drain.  It can also pool on the bathroom floor as well, but if it can find a way down, that's where you will see it first.

The fix involves removing the toilet and replacing that wax ring.  On homedepot.com you will find a Project Guide HERE that explains how to do just that.

Chris.

Posted 2015-07-31T19:43:00+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI
Hi forde!

Since you've describe the junction of your toilet drain pipe to the main drain, it is fair to assume that you have access to that junction on a level below the bathroom ... maybe a basement.

Historically lead was used, almost like solder, to connect varying size plumbing drains.

Today, the substitute is Bernzomatic Plumbing Solder.
This product is lead-free and designed for general plumbing use ... including joining pipes.

The melting point is 430-degree Fahrenheit, and historically plumbers might use a thick strip of leather to smooth the joint while melted.

SAFETY FIRST:
Because you'll be working with high heat and solder that will retain heat, be very careful to protect yourself and the building.

Try long-sleeve clothing, eye protection, heavy leather gloves, and a thick layer of cardboard between the pipe and the wall.
Posted 2015-08-04T15:08:01+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+