Sign In to join the community | Help
Decor

My walls are textured...can I apply wall paper over that or do I need to removed the paint?

Apparently, when my walls were painted, they used sponges or something, instead of just paint brushes and the result is that they have the textured mark of the sponges. It looks nice, but now I want to put wallpaper and a wall mural. Does the wall need to be absolutely smooth?

If so, how do I remove paint from the wall?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-07-26T13:46:43+0000  by sheilao sheilao

Hi sheilao,

Thank you for your question and welcome to our community

I would love to be able to tell you that “Yes, of course you can wall paper over the textured walls!”  This is true only  if you are leaving the next day!! lol  {:-)  The wall  needs to have a smooth surface for the mural to be able to adhere to; otherwise the mural will start to peel off within a week of applying it. Do not waste your time! 

To apply the mural effectively, you will need to sand the wall smooth, wipe it down to remove any of the debris and then apply your wall paper mural.   Be sure that you are wearing a dust mask when sanding down the wall.  Good ventilation in the room will also help to pull some of the air born dust out.  

Dust Mask 3M Tekk N95 Particulate.jpg

How old is the paint?  Some of the older paint from the 50's and 60's had lead in the paint.  This may require some additional precautions when sanding down the walls.  Do a lead paint test just to be safe.

Lead Paint Test.jpg

I know it sounds like a lot of work, but it will be worth it in the long run and your beautiful mural will stay up for you to admire.  Be sure to take pictures/video of your project, before, during and after and share them with us in our Project Library under "I Did This".

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Posted 2013-07-26T23:00:13+0000  by Rick_HD_OC

Thanks so much!

Posted 2013-07-30T08:24:41+0000  by sheilao

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+