Sign In to join the community | Help
Plumbing

My water pipe is making high pitch whistling sound. Please Help!

My house has been making actually my water pipe a this strange high pitch whistling sound. I have a 2 level townhouse which was built about 8 years ago. This sounds is coming from 2nd floor bathroom wall. This sound comes randomly sometimes middle of the night which is bothering me the most. This sound last sometimes short 30sec and sometimes as long as like 3 min. It goes away by itself, but if you turn on any water faucet or flash the toilet either first floor or second floor the noise stops. When you turn on the water for short time the sound comes back soon if I leave the water for longer time the sometime sound don't come back for while. Not sure what is causing this please help us. I attach a youtube link here for you to hear the sound. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_BOfPN5ydc

Thank you any help will be grateful. 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-05-23T19:20:55+0000  by hokipoki hokipoki

I talk to one of my friends last night about this and he recommend that we see there is something wrong with the toliet. As I recall we did installed a new Flapper to the upstair's toliet before all these sound began. When we installed the new Flapper I guess we did something different the toliet start making this small water flowing sound constantly but the sound was so small i didn't think much of it.

So last night we went back home and at first I close the water pipe that goes to that toliet once I did that like one minute later that sound came. so I went back and let the water back into the toliet. so instead doing that I open the toliet and looked. It seems like that water was too high it was almost touching the top of the overfill/refill tube. so I got a screw driver and turn the screw on the Inlet Float Valve. and flush the toliet and that  wather flowing sound was gone. After couple minutes wow that high pitch whistling sound came louder and more often and longer. we couldn't sleep with this sound going on so i went back and turn the screw the other way so the water started to flow again but the sound was gone. I actually made it so the water flow more and since last night I haven't heard that whistling sound again.

I was thinking that maybe I need to replace the Inlet Flow Valve, as I said our house is 8 years old and things are getting old and this toliet is only toliet we haven't replace that valve. What do you think? Do you think that will fix the problem. As right now since the whistling sound hasn't came back yet I am happy with staying as we are. I am just afriad that if I just leave that toliet like how it is other problem might happen.

Here is the link to look at our current toliet and couple picture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8aSoS1O9hE

Photo-1.jpg

Photo-2.jpg

Posted 2013-05-24T13:21:48+0000  by hokipoki

Hi hokipoki,

I listened to the sound, a very unusual one indeed.

My only guess is this sound is caused a blockage in the vent for the drain system which travels through the walls to the roof from the first floor.

When water drains the vent allows the air in the line to escape, if the vent is clogged the air can create a whiling noise

as it passes through the blockage.

Have a plumber snake the entire waste and vent system, to assure there is no blockage in the waste lines or vent system.

Let us know if this works.

Mike,

Posted 2013-05-23T23:25:01+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+