Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Answered

Mystery Paint Design

Hi,

I recently watched a home depot commercial about painting, and loved a design they showed for a few seconds. Now, I have started painting my house, and have completely forgotten what the design looked like! I can not find the commercial anywhere on the internet, and have not seen the commercial on television since! I remember that the people on the commercial were painting a wall yellow, and were peeling off the tape, and the design of lots of squares, possibly overlapping each other. Where am I able to watch this commercial?

From,

Regina

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-10-25T02:10:35+0000  by Rguire Rguire

Thanks for the vote of confidence Corplo!!!

It is always my pleasure to assist.

Projects like this are unusual, so expect to receive quite a few WOWs from your family and guests.

We're looking forward to seeing you handywork!

Posted 2012-04-05T13:00:56+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Hi ! I am a landlord and had a tenant do a design on 3 bedroom walls with masking tape just like the design being discussed, only not as complicated. There are two 4 ft x 3 ft squares on each wall. She has since moved out, and need to repaint the entire wall to get rid of the patterns. HELP! Sanding, dry-wall compound, primer, paint.. these combinations seem so time-consuming! Is there a quick fix that could solve this problem? Or maybe just an easier solution that I haven't thought of? Thank you in advance! 

Posted 2012-05-16T21:06:12+0000  by kelseac13

kelseac13,

Unfortunately, there is no "silver bullet' to take care of this problem.  This is why I cautioned against such designs in an earlier post.

If you merely paint over the designs, you may blank out the color differences, but the 4 to 8 mil thick edge of the design will be clearly visible. At a minimum, I would try to feather this paint edge with dry wall compound. Sand out the dry wall compound and then use a dampened block sponge to dissolve and blend the patched area into the older existing roller texture. Now use an older "raggy" roller cover to spot prime these edges. Your new patches will be too smooth to match the existing wall texture. Hopefully, the spot priming with an older roller cover will give a reasonable facsimile to that existing roller texture. Finally, paint the entire room, preferably with a flat or low sheen paint.

If you have textured walls, you will have to re-texture the whole area to make the old design perfectly invisible.

As I said, there are no silver bullets :(

Posted 2012-05-17T04:31:28+0000  by ordjen

Hello Kelseac!

There is a simple way that doesn't require skim coating the wall with mud, but does require sanding.

Use one of the paint and primer products (Behr or Glidden) to apply your first coat.

Allow to dry six-hours.

Then use a pole sander and 220-grit sandpaper on the exposed texture (ridges) under the first coat.

Clean the dust, apply a second coat of paint, and allow to dry six-hours.

Shine a light down the wall and look for any remaining texture.

Mark visible texture with a lead pencil and continue sanding in these areas until satisfied.

Remove the sanding dust and paint your final coat.

NOTE: This process will consume additional time, but will not require as much time if you chose to skim coat the wall.

Posted 2012-05-17T15:52:46+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

I have in the past used an oil based, high build enamel undercoater to hide the results of bad paint jobs which left heavy brush and roller marks on woodwork. This is usually the result of amateurish paint jobs using latex paint. The advantage of an oil enamel undercoater is its sandability. It readily sands away from the high spots and fills in the low spots, leaving a much smoother surface. The problem with acrylic based primers is the one common to all acrylic products - they don't sand well!

The ability to sand out well is one of the remaining advantages of oil paint over acrylics. Oils will feather out, leaving an imperceptibly smooth  spot. Acrylics merely clog up the sandpaper, leaving a ragged edge.

If acrylics sanded well, the distinct edge left by the wall design would sand out directly, without need for additional patching or primer materials.

Posted 2012-05-18T04:02:51+0000  by ordjen
This post has been moved to a different board where the topic makes more sense.
Posted 2012-07-07T16:21:51+0000  by HomeDepotTara
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+