Sign In to join the community | Help
Tools & Hardware

Nail gun or brad nailer?

I am looking to buy my husband a nail gun for his bday. First project will be installing baseboards throughout our house. Which is best suited for this project? Nail gun or brad nailer. I have looked up several blogs and they all say different.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-07-03T15:25:00+0000  by jillj jillj

Hello jillj.  Welcome to the Community!

What a nice birthday gift.

Simple answer:  For baseboards you will want a 15 or 16 gauge finish nailer.

Indeed for most trim work a finish nailer will allow the use of nails with a thick enough body to securely hold moulding in place.  Brad nailers are sometimes used for this purpose, but their smaller 18 gauge nails are really better suited to cabinetry work and small decorative trim.  The higher the gauge number the thinner the nail, just like with wire gauges.

What you didn't say was how this gun would be powered.  The most common are pneumatic guns which cost the least but require an air compressor.  Other options are battery operated and gas fuel powered models.

One of our most popular options is a combination compressor and gun kit:

Combo Kit.jpg

If your husband already has a compressor, then the nail guns can be purchased individually or in sets.

15 Finish Nailer.jpgNailer 3 Gun Set.jpg

If no compressor is desired, then you may consider a cordless, battery operated gun like this:

Battery Finish Nailer.jpg

One last option you often see on TV home shows is a gas fuel model like this one:

Paslode.PNG

Posted 2012-07-03T16:20:01+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Just adding to the fine post by Newf, some of the combo kits (compressor and guns) have multiple guns, including brad, finish and stapler.

Porter-Cable PC3PAK 6-Gal. Portable Electric Air Compressor Combo Kit
Model # PC3PAK Internet # 100672212 Store SKU # 222516 

This kit should be available in the store, as well as online. I believe this is the one I saw that has the dual air connects, allowing multiple guns to be attached at the same time.

Posted 2012-07-04T21:28:47+0000  by Paul

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+