Sign In to join the community | Help
Kitchen

Nail polish remover stains

How do I repair my new dark wood dinette table with nail polish remover stains on it?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-04-21T23:27:23+0000  by shamilynn shamilynn

Hi Shamilynn, welcome to the community and we are glad you joined. Sorry to hear about your dinette table.

I will start by asking how long the nail polish remover sat on the table surface. Did the nail polish remover penetrate the clear coat surface and into the wood, or is there a white haze. The answer to those questions will help get you the right answers.

Let’s start if it is only a white haze, you will need some steel wool, and a clear coat finish, satin or gloss to match the rest of the table top.

First you would use number 00 aught steel wool, rubbing over the white haze spot. You are trying to eliminate the white haze. Next use number 000 aught steel wool. This will smooth out any rough spots from the use of 00 aught steel wool. Final prep, use number 0000 aught steel wool to finish the surface before using clear coat.

Ensure spot is clean of any debris, sanding’s, steel wool, or dust. Apply clear coat following the directions on the can. Apply to the spot using a high quality paint brush or sponge brush.

Now if the nail polish remover has penetrated beyond the clear coat and into the wood, you will have to refinish the entire table to make the table all the same color shade.

This will require sanding the entire table, use a tack cloth and wipe the entire table to remove all the sanding’s. Next use numbers 000 and 0000 aught steel wool.

You now can choose a color stain and a clear coat to refinish the dinette. There are some stain products that have a color stain and clear coat in one. You can get all the materials for this project at your local Home Depot in the paint department.

If you can post some pictures, that would be great. If you can't post, try and take some pictures with you when you you go to the paint department. Please let us know how your project turns out.

Posted 2013-04-22T18:29:23+0000  by Ken_HD_OC

Thank you Ken, I'll give it a try.

Posted 2013-04-22T20:50:03+0000  by shamilynn

Shamilynn, you are most welcome. Please come back to us if you have more questions about this project. We are here to help.

Posted 2013-04-22T21:36:05+0000  by Ken_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+