Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Need Help Hanging a Pot Rack

So I am at Home Depot and I am buying all of the things I will need to hang my new pot rack.  Everything.

Then I get home and I realize the beam/support in the wall that I want to make sure I screw into is NOT near where the rack will go.  It appears I will have to hang my new pot rack on the drywall which I am not crazy about.

Besides the weight of the rack, there is also the weight of all the pots and pans that will be hanging from it.  Is there any way I can successfully hang this pot rack without screwing it into the support beam inside the wall????  Does Home Depot sell anything for this particular situation??  Thanks for any help you can provide.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-10-31T15:14:00+0000  by JBRONCFAN JBRONCFAN

Hi JBRONCFAN, welcome back to the community. I’m Ken with The Home Depot in California and work in the hardware department.

Your question about how to hang heavy objects in drywall is one I get often. By the way, I’ve always wanted to have a hanging pot rack in my kitchen, but I have no room.

There are several fasteners that can handle the weight for hanging heavy mirrors, cabinets, and shelves. 

However if you want to hang this pot rack from the ceiling in drywall, you will have to make a support and let me show you how.

The good news there is building hardware called “Simpson strong tie”.  Using this product will enable you to hang your pot rack.

You need to mark the location on the ceiling where you want the pot rack to go. Use a long nail so you can easily find the location when you’re up in the attic above your kitchen.

Now locate the two nearest studs to your nails. 

Measure and write down the distance between the studs. You can take the measurements to The Home Depot for the lumber and hardware you need.

Let the associate know you need 4 Simpson strong ties ( LUZ24’s or LUZ44), a box of 10d Simpson nails, and two pieces of 2X4 or 4X4 lumber of the measurements you took.

Both of these will work, the 4X4 just gives you a bigger area to drill your holes if you're using bolts

You put the LUZ24 or LUZ44 hangers evenly spaced on your studs, nail them in place. Now you’re ready to place your 2X4 or 4X4 pieces of lumber in the hangers and nail them.

support1 (640x281).jpg

support2 (640x277).jpg 

Now you have a strong support and can hang your heavy pot rack either using an eye bolt, flat washer and a nut or a stainless screw eye. 

Posted 2011-10-31T21:31:14+0000  by Ken_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+