Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Need Help With Grass

I'm new to Texas and live in the north eastern part.  I am used to having green grass year round, and my front yard has all types, mainly weeds, but bermuda and centipede grass.  The backyard I've tried Fescue but it died during the hot months, never came back in the winter.  This past fall I tilled all up, added soil, and planted perennial Rye.  It was beautiful and lush.  Now It's starting to die off and everyone is telling me that it will die in the summer?  Does it come back in the fall?  And if not, do I plant bermuda in the spring to keep the green going year round?  Or what two seeds can I plant that will give me my green year round that work together?  I'm broke and frustrated with all the grass seed and soil amendments, etc. that I've been buying.  I just want green grass!  Can you help?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-05-21T16:58:12+0000  by gailc53 gailc53

Hey gailc53.

I live in Atlanta, 1 zone colder than you and we are still too dry and hot for fescue and certainly too dry and hot for perennial rye. Perennial Rye will not be a perennial where there is extreme heat and dry weather. It will become an annual grass. It would be cheaper to overseed your lawn with Annual Ryegrass in mid September like I do. Take a look at this link. This is my Bermuda yard overseeded with Annual Ryegrass. My rye yard looks better than my Bermuda yard does.

I start cutting my Ryegrass short in March so the Bermuda can get sunlight. If I want to get rid of the rye quickly then I can simply spray it with Image, but I just keep cutting it short and let the heat kill it off.

http://community.homedepot.com/howto/DiscussionDetail/Winter-grass-9065000000008YS

Posted 2017-05-21T18:14:09+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL
Wow, thank you.  I'll give it a try this fall.  I'm from CA where bermuda is considered a weed.  LOL So should I plant bermuda in the back yard now, where there is currently rye?  That was my question I guess, do I plant two seeds at different times each year?
Posted 2017-05-21T20:00:22+0000  by gailc53
Now is a perfect time for planting Bermuda seed. Use a starter fertilizer with it and water it daily. Plant your Rye in September while your Bermuda is still green. Bermuda will take over rye now.

http://community.homedepot.com/DiscussionDetail/What-is-the-difference-between-Hybrid-Bermuda-Grass-and-Bermuda-906500000000F0g

Seeded Bermuda needs to be cut with greater frequency than hybrid Bermuda sod in order to keep it fuller. Hybrid Bermuda sod is bred to grow slower, shorter and fuller. This yard is one of my customers.
Posted 2017-05-21T20:05:10+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL
Wow you have been very helpful.  I need to figure out how I'm going to tackle this. My front yard is huge with 20+ oak trees, so it does get a lot of shade, plus I have no sprinkler system which makes it difficult to water regularly.  I drag a 150 feet of hose just for the front and that still doesn't get it all.  

Oh well, thank you for all of your help.  At least I have some answers and a direction to follow.  I appreciate it.
Posted 2017-05-21T22:21:39+0000  by gailc53

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+