Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Need advice on how to soundproof my bedroom.

I live with a noisy roommate. There is no way around this but soundproofing. Please help.

I am willing to replace the entire door with one that blocks sound more effectively. I've also heard about foam padding I can stick on the door and in the cracks around the door. That's as far as my knowledge about soundproofing goes. Please suggest materials and if possible, a superior solution.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-02-27T07:45:22+0000  by soundproofher soundproofher

I used Quiet rock, installed as directed by company-IT DOES NOT WORK!

Hi,

I have an issue with wall noise. I can hear my TV, talking between my living room and bedroom. I had Quietrock installed over the existing sheetrock and plaster wall. This did not stop the sound transfer, I have also used sheetrock over soundboard from HD on another bedroom wall, it seems to work better, but has not stopped sound through the wall. The house was built in 1968, concrete slab tile over, 2x4 wood studs, sheetrock with plaster over. I have been thinking of installing carpet pad on the wall to stop sound? Any advice?

Posted 2013-02-19T21:44:25+0000  by tigas

Sound waves are insidious. They can get through the slightest hole or crack. It you can see light under the door, sound is coming through too. You would have to weather strip that door as if it were an outside door where you are trying to block air infiltration. To be sure, a hollow core door does not help, but unless you block the sound waves sneaking in around the edges, nothing will really help.

Same holds true for common walls. If you have electrical outlets in that shared wall, sound will make its way through those tiny electrical slots.

If this is a rental apartment, I would just grin and bare it! As one poster suggested, "white" noise, such as a fan, might help. There are also noise devices on the market which will ask. I have a brother-in-law who runs the room air conditioner not because he is warm, but because the fan masks the noise from his neighbors.

Posted 2012-02-28T06:14:39+0000  by ordjen

A superior solution would be to get rid of roommate: :smileyvery-happy: just kidding ...just kidding :smileyindifferent:

Stukas is 100% correct...again …:smileymad::smileywink:

Soundproofing an entire room can be quite expensive…

Adding an additional mass e.g two layers of staggered drywall will make a noticable difference. Another option is to use drywall specifically designed for soundproofing. Quietrock is one brand name..

QuietRock_ES518x350.gifquiet rock.JPG

Principle is fairly similar the only major difference it’s in labor, you’re installing one single layer in oppose to two. In addition to drywall you can also improve soundproofing by using soundproofing sealant around the perimeter of the wall and openings. And there is also something called quiet putty that can be placed behind the electrical and phone outlets…

putty.JPG

There is literally a ton of products out there but for right now I have to agree with Stukas solid core door is the way to go.

Hope this helps.

George

Posted 2012-02-27T20:51:28+0000  by George_HD_CHI

Howdy Soundproofher,

I've had some experience with noisy roomates and have had to take some measures to deal with the situation as well.

Here are some tried and true methods for insulating yourself from excessive noise.

Bookcase.jpg

A bookcase on the adjacent wall will do wonders for insulation.

stripping.jpg

Some weather stripping  around the bottom of the door will also keep some noise out.

liquidnails.jpgdrywall.jpg

Glueing drywall over existing drywall like "Stukas" mentioned is my favorite. Using something like Liquid Nails instead of regular nails will help against sound from travelling through the walls.

boxfan.jpg

Lastly, I've used a box fan at nightime to drown out any noises.

Hope this gives you the peace and quiet your looking for.

Posted 2012-02-27T20:42:59+0000  by Dave_HD_OC

Hi.  Thanks for your question.  Sound proofing a room can be quit expensive.  Most interior wall have no insulation and the wall boards would have to be removed.  Then sound proofing installation (R45 or greater) can be installed and two sheets of sheet rock installed.  The door should be a solid core with a seal tight threshold. 

Just two layers of sheet rock will help a lot but if you're going to do this then why insulate too?   I hope this helps.  Years ago when I had a loud roommate I would blast the worst music I could find while wearing ear protection.:)

Posted 2012-02-27T18:42:07+0000  by Stukas

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+