Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Need help on How to Paint over Behr Venetian Plaster

Hello,

I have decided to get rid of the venetian plaster look I have in my dining room. I painted that room about 8  years ago using the Behr Venetian Plaster kit. I think that the topcoat is acrylic based. I know that I need to sand the walls but what else should I do? What type of primer is recommended to help the new paint adhere to the Venetian plaster? I would like now to paint my walls in a light color . I previously have a dark color. Thank you for your help.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-01-08T12:59:50+0000  by jkra jkra

It's a Great Day in the Paint Department JKRA!

Venetian Plaster is one of those textured finishes that can be sanded, primed, and painted ... not too difficult, depending upon how heavy or light the VP pattern.

If the texture is heavy, I would recommend starting with 150-grit sandpaper to cut the surface and then 220-grit to smooth the surface before painting.

If the texture is light, I would recommend starting with 220-grit sandpaper to simply smooth the lightly textured surface.

Prime using Zinsser 123 and have it tinted to be similar to your new wall color.

If you still see texture after priming, you may wish to sand and prime again. This will allow you to get the wall much smoother before you begin painting.

Finally, paint two coats using a 3/8ths nap roller cover and allow at least four hours between coats.

NOTE: Like removing almost every textured product, the more course the pattern, the more course the sandpaper. Do not use sandpaper that will cut into the wallboard.

FINALLY: There is a common misconception that primer will also "fill" textured surfaces. This is not true! Primer, like paint, will conform to the shape of the surface ... however, you can sand after you prime to knock down small ridges. Be certain to remove the sanding dust, then shine a light down the wall and look from the opposite end to determine if it is smooth enough to meet your expectation. If not, prime and sand again.

Posted 2013-01-08T14:19:17+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+