Sign In to join the community | Help
Building Materials

Need help to find out the best wood panel to use

What type of plywood or wood should I use for a DIY corner craft table top? I'm going to use 2 file cabinets as the base at each end and my hubby is going to put a piece of wood in the corner to help hold it up. I need a sturdy good type of wood. I do scrapbooking, make home decor, vinyl and pretty much anything else I can do with my Cricut Explore Air 2. Hopefully you can help me decide cause we don't know!!!
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-01-16T18:54:29+0000  by Shayzilla Shayzilla

Hello Shayzilla,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community.

In terms of plywood, using a cabinet grade version of oak is in my opinion, the best way to go. 

I have a sheet of it in 3/4" thickness I use for all sorts of projects. When you use a fine tooth blade via a circular, table, or jig saw it can and will give you a nice edge.

As a species of wood, oak is very durable and can withstand a lot of abuse from everyday usage. The 3/4" thickness won't bend or warp and it can be painted or stained to whatever look you wish. 

Measure out how much you will need. We sell these in 4' x 8' sheets or in smaller amounts. To view the 4' x 8' size for pricing and more information, please click here

Let us know if you have any further questions,

Joseph

Posted 2017-01-16T20:08:58+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
A good option would be a "flush" solid core door "slab".  They're basically the door itself without the jamb or any holes drilled in it for the lock with a flat surface.    They're available in sizes starting at 24" wide (or deep as you're going to use it) up to 36" and about 80" long but could be cut if you needed a shorter length.  They're not very expensive and sometimes you can find one that's damaged and save a few dollars.  Give it a light sanding, a stain color of your choice, and a couple or three coats of polyurethane and you've got a nice looking, rock solid work surface.

Another option is to use length of prefabricated kitchen countertop.  It's a bit more expensive (look for something damaged) but you have an attractive, durable work surface.  They'll have a backslash but that can be cut off or kept intact (keeps stuff from rolling of the back).  The only caveat is that depending on the span between your filing cabinets you might have to add some support at the back along the wall.
Posted 2017-01-17T09:34:23+0000  by Adam444

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+