Sign In to join the community | Help
Tools & Hardware

Need help with hanging tools in garage

I have several yard tools (shovels, rakes, etc...) that I want to hang in the garage.  The walls are cement and i am not sure of the best way to hang them.  Do I drill holes in the wall and try and install hooks?  Do I drill plywood into the wall and then drill holes in the wood for hooks?  I am a very new homeowner with little to no experience with this kind of stuff.  Thank you in advance

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-09-13T10:52:17+0000  by justcallmemr justcallmemr

Hi justcallmemr, welcome to the community and we’re glad you joined. Sound like a nice little project you have got going. There are several ways you can go about this. The following is just one way. 

I would consider using 2 X 4’s made of pressure treated lumber and make what is called a cleat. You take 6 or 8 foot pressure treated lumber, longer if you have a long wall and mount horizontal on the wall with lag screws and lag shields.

You will need a drill and drill bit for lumber and a masonry drill bit for the wall. These bits will be different sizes as the masonry drill bit needs to be larger for the lag shields. The package of lag shields will tell you what size drill bit you need. Lag shields come in a small quantity or in bulk.

Take one 6 or 8 foot 2 X 4 at the top of the wall and one at a lower position on the wall. Next attached a sheet of plywood or OSB at least ½ inch thick to the pressure treated lumber using either deck screws or other exterior coated screws 1 ½ inch long.

Figure your layout as to the length and width of each tool before installing the hooks. Now you’re ready to install the hanging hooks to the plywood or OSB.

Using screws allows you an easier way to disassemble if you want to move the plywood or just take it down. Also you will have fewer holes in the wall by using plywood or OSB. Hope this helps.

Posted 2012-09-13T18:47:07+0000  by Ken_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+