Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Need suggestions for bin rental

I am in the process of demolishing my kitchen. My house is a little bit old. I am not satisfied with the look and organization of the kitchen. Actually, we were planning to shift to another home. But finally, we decided to stay here. Hence I thought of demolishing the kitchen. The tiles look unpleasant and dirty. We just started it. Since it's kitchen demolishing, we need to uninstall everything in the reverse order it was installed. We discussed with a contractor regarding the new updates, budget and all. We started the work. We have some junk to be disposed of. I thought of a bin rental to be used for getting rid of the junk generated after demolishing the kitchen. Is renting a bin expensive?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-07-17T05:14:02+0000  by dianeV dianeV

Hello dianeV and welcome to the community.

In some areas Home Depot sells a product called WM Bagster for smaller demolition projects.  The Bagster itself cost about $29.95 U.S. but you would have to contact Waste Management for a quote for picking up the loaded Bagster. The WM Bagster Dumpster in a Bag serves as the perfect on-demand waste removal solution for your job site or home do-it-yourself project. You can fit up to 3,300 lbs. of debris or waste in it.  It has a 606 Gal. capacity and is 4 ft. W x 2.5 ft. H x 8 ft. D  This is one option for smaller demolition jobs.

Home Depot does not rent “bins” or dumpster.  There are usually several companies in most areas that do rent Dumpsters.  Roll off Dumpsters are available in different sizes.  I suggest you Google Dumpster rentals for your area and contact them directly to determine what size you will need and to get and estimate.

As Chris suggested, if you remove the cabinets carefully and they are still usable, you could also donate them to the Habitat For Humanity Restore.  They will even pick them up for you.  

Thank you for your inquiry.

Charlotte of the Home Depot How To Community.

Posted 2018-07-17T13:03:23+0000  by Char_HD_CHI
Hello dianeV.  Welcome to the Community!

Here in the U.S. garbage collection companies will rent, deliver and haul away heavy metal dumpsters in 5, 10 and 20 cubic yard sizes.  They roll off the back of a large flat bed truck and are typically fairly expensive to rent.  You commonly see these dumpsters behind commercial buildings that generate a lot of waste on a weekly basis.  Roofing contractors will utilize these when stripping a roof off an entire home.

A popular alternative for smaller jobs that is available both here and in parts of Canada is called a Bagster.  It is sold at Home Depot stores and serviced by Waste Management.  You can find them here online.  Stores in Toronto offer these for sale in stock.  A Bagster is a very tough, soft sided open top bag that holds 3 cubic feet of construction debris.  One major advantage to the Bagster is that you can take whatever time you need to fill it, as you are not renting the Bagster on a time basis.  It looks like this:

You pay for the Bagster at your local Home Depot store, and then bring it home and fill it up.  Once ready for removal you would contact Waste Management for pickup.  Please note that there is a fee charged by Waste Management for this service.  You can call them for more information at this number:  1-877-789-2247.  While you are at it also ask them how much they charge for conventional dumpsters in your area.  That way you can compare the cost of all options.

One way to save some waste space and cost would be to carefully remove rather than demolish your kitchen cabinets.  If still in usable condition, they can be set out for scavengers to pick up and use as basement or garage cabinets.  I see this done on occasion but do not know if that might be an option for you where you live.  Just a thought...

Chris.

Posted 2018-07-17T15:17:16+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+