Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Need to make semi-gloss a matte finish

My building handyman did a touch-up job using semi-gloss latex when he should have used matte latex paint. When he found some matte-finish paint, it was slightly darker than the original white. Then he tried covering the area with white primer, a brighter white that was also semi-gloss. I prefer not to paint the whole wall for an affected area that is rather small (though the various attempts are rather obvious). I was told not to use fine-gauge sandpaper; on my own, I tried using a sponge full of Bar Keeper's Friend, a very mild abrasive meant for cookware, to take the shine off, but that didn't work. How can I refinish the semi-gloss and turn it into matte? I'd like to get rid of the new paint altogether! We're talking about  an area that is a foot square, at the most... 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-09-17T02:47:47+0000  by WestSideStory WestSideStory

Hi Westsidestory,

Try using a deglosser, such as Safer Deglosser, this is a water based deglosser that will remove the shine and not damage the surrounding surface.

If this fails you may try sanding the area with a very fine 400 grit sandpaper, to remove the shine.

I hope these ideas help.

Mike,

Posted 2012-09-17T17:25:35+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+