Sign In to join the community | Help
Doors & Windows

Need to select a Patio Door

Just 5 years and 6 months ago I had Home Depot install a Masonite prehung inswing patio door.  The door was painted by a professional and now the bottom center post is rotted out and the door has to be replaced.  My luck, the door I purchased only had a 5 year warranty. 

So I'm going to have it replaced and want the blinds in the glass and have limited choices.  I wanted the Andersen door but you can't get the blinds in the glass at Home Depot on this one. The salesman showed us a door made by MasterPiece and is a composite door and is a sliding door instead of the inside swing. 

Does anyone have any idea if this is a good door or is there a better option?  Are sliding doors better today than they use to be. I remember the old aluminum doors from years past.  Would I be better skipping the sliding door and going back to the swing patio door?  Will the installer have problems getting the sliding door to slide and work correctly or are they pretty easy to put in a home? 

This MasterPiece seems to have a lifetime warranty which is a plus.  

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-04-12T20:30:27+0000  by jvette jvette

Hello jvete, and welcome to the community!

I work in the Doors & Windows department in the Chicagoland area. I'm sorry you are having a problem with your Masonite door, it's still worth a try to see if Masonite will cover the warranty even though it's 6 months past, here is the number 800-663-3667. 

I'm not familiar with the Masterpiece door, it's new to the Home Depot. We currently have in stock the Jeld-Wen sliding patio door, it comes with mini-blinds between the glass, a screen, handle set, and it's vinyl. You can also special order it in different colors, or order a swinging door. 

Another option, Home Depot carries the add-on ODL mini blind, if you have a patio door that has the perimeter frame around the glass, this frame clips on to it. 

Sliding Versus Swinging? It all depends, It something you must decide.

Do you have the room for a swinging door?

Do you have a need to have both doors open for larger items? 

If you go with a swinging door, you can get the ODL add-on mini blinds. 

Let me know if you have any other questions. 

Posted 2013-04-18T21:21:03+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+