Sign In to join the community | Help
Kitchen

New Countertop and wall backing for restaurant waiting station

I'm wanting to put in a new countertop, about 6X4 in the waitress station at work. I also want to put something on the wall behind and around the new countertop that would be easily cleanable and stain resistant. I want both the material used for the counter and the wall to be easily cleanable and stain resistant. I also want it to be cheap. Initially in my mind I had thought of stainless steel but I wasnt aware of the prices.

My questions are,

-what sort of countertops can I find that are easily cleanable/stainresistant, and affordable.

-and what can I do for the wall around the area to make it also easily cleanable and stain resistant, and affordable.

Thank you for your time.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-07-02T17:39:30+0000  by TylerM TylerM

While it has a higher initial investment, stainless steel offers incredible longevity and it's easy to clean and santize.  That's why it's used for so many restaurant fixtures.

Just like your home, there are other options for countertops.  You can use solid surfacing (e.g., Corian) or high pressure laminate (e.g., Formica).  Unfortunately they're both subject to cuts and scrapes which can make the surface harder to keep sanitary.  Both can be burned, but that may not be an issue at a waitress station unless a hot coffee pot is set on the surface.  Unlike laminate, solid surfacing can be sanded to remove minor damage.  Neither can be easily repaired.  

As for walls, FRP (fiber reinforced panels, e.g., Marlite) is a common choice.  It's durable, easy to clean and relatively inexpensive.  Beyond the common white pebble finish, it's now available in a wide variety of colors and finishes, including ones that simulate tile.  

Remember too that your local health code may have specific requirements that will need to be met.  

Posted 2013-07-03T14:55:06+0000  by Adam444

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+