Sign In to join the community | Help
Electrical

Answered

New Hampton Bay ceiling fan works intermittently

Yesterday I installed a new Hampton Bay Sidewinder ceiling fan with in-wall remote control. The fan is replacing a single overhead light that worked off of a single wall switch.

My problem is that the fan is working intermittently - sometimes every function works as it should, other times none of the functions work at all. Furthermore, I don't see any pattern to this problem. Sometimes you can turn it on and off several times in a row and everything will work fine, other times it will work one minute and not the next.

I have noticed that the light on the wall remote lights brightly when everything works, and lights dimly when it doesn't. I don't know if this is some sort of clue to the problem.

I have checked all the electrical connections for the remote and the fan, and everything seems to be correct. The fan is located about 10 feet from the remote.

I am stumped, and would really appreciate any advice. Thanks!
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-07-12T13:10:42+0000  by David76 David76

I would suspect the wall control is defective but it could be receiving unit too.  I would buy another fan and start with swapping out the wall control.  If that doesn't work, continue to replacing the receiver.  Then just return the fan with the defective parts.

Best Answer

Posted 2015-07-12T23:21:10+0000  by Adam444
You were right, it was the wall remote. I replaced it and everything works great. Thanks very much for the help, I appreciate it!
Posted 2015-07-22T09:38:01+0000  by David76

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+