Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

New Home Purchase 12ft Door!

Hi,

I just purchased my first home and there is a 12ft Sliding door installed (3 panels). I want to replace it, my first thought was to replace it with french doors, however i am having some diffuclty finding something that would fit just right. Does anyone have any suggestions? My next thought is to buy two sets of 6ft...I don't know how that would work however..Any ideas?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-11-23T07:23:37+0000  by MrWicked1 MrWicked1

Hello MrWicked1,

Welcome to the community.

You can special order any size wardrobe doors you need at your local Home Depot.

All you need to do is measure your finished opening and bring the measurement to the Millworks associate at your local Home Depot.

Finished opening: Width - drywall to drywall    Height - drywall to floor.

There are many different styles and colors to choose from. You can get mirrored (beveled or non-beveled), 6 panel, steel, and Masonite panels just to mention a few. The frames are available in many different colors like gold, brushed nickel, white, and chrome.

So just take your measurements in and they will be able to get you exactly what you need.

You would not be able to use 2 - 6’ sets due to they use a 2 panel track and you would need a 4 panel track if you were going to have a 4 panel system.

Your best bet is to special order exactly what you need for your opening.:smileywink:

I hope this has helped you out with your dilemma.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I would love to help.

Posted 2011-11-23T22:57:55+0000  by Christine_HD_OC
Thanks for the advice. I checked over the doors and reread my message, I guess I should of been more clear. Im mot by any means a craftsman, the doors you showed me(wardrobe) are not for exterior use are they? This 12ft opening is leading to the patio. My concern now is security.

Thanks so much for your input.
Posted 2011-11-24T03:14:37+0000  by MrWicked1

Hi MrWicked I contacted the millworks depart at my store and asked about this for you.  As soon a I mentioned the opening of 12ft and exterior she said it must be a multi-panel patio!  My stores millworks department knows their business :).

I was told that there are options available for exterior doors of that span through our special order catalogue.  Most are going to be dependent on what you're looking for exactly in regards to look, material, features, etc.

As said heading into the store to speak with a millworks associate is going to be the best course of action. This way you can discuss what options are available and get a look at some styles.  Also remember that there's rarely a thing as too much information, having a few pictures of the intended area and the existing doors never hurt anyone so feel free to bring them along. I hope this helps.

Cheers,

ChrisFixit

Posted 2011-11-27T19:52:17+0000  by Chris_HD_ATL

Hello again MrWicked1,

I am so sorry I automatically thought about a wardrobe door. I should have asked if it was interior or exterior. My bad.:smileyindifferent:

Ok since it’s an exterior door than ChrisFixit is right on with his advice.

I wanted to give you a little more information to ponder before you came in to the store with your measurements.

In store we carry a few different vendors that you can get the door that you need from.  Masonite and Jeld-Wen are a couple of the more common ones.  

They both have a build your door feature on their website that you can play around with to see which one you like better. Whether you want to go with a double french door as mentioned, double slider, or a French door with side lights. It’s a lot easier to choose if you have a picture of each style to choose from.

Here is a link to a tutorial of french door components. Just thought it was cool and I wanted to share.

I really like the French doors with side lights. It would give you a 6’ opening and look great open or closed.

double french door.jpg

I hope this has helped you out with choosing the correct door for your 12’ opening.

Sorry for the confusion. But when you’re ready to replace your interior wardrobe doors you’ll know what you need to do now.:smileywink:

Thanks again for joining the community and I look forward to seeing your next project.  

Posted 2011-11-30T19:20:30+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

Hello MrWicked1, I also work for the Home Depot but I am in the Chicagoland area, and I work in the Millwork (Doors & Windows) department, and I have 2 more suggestions just to put out there.

The pictures you see below are patio doors units to fit a 12 foot opening, and are somewhat unique.

The first picture is an Andersen patio door that is a sliding 4 panel system that is referred to a Bi-Parting because doors open in the middle. 

Andersen Bi-Parting patio doors.JPG

This color picture is a Andersen Folding 4-panel door system that allows you to open the entire area while the door panels stack off to the side.  

Andersen Bi-Parting patio doors 2.JPG

And here are two similar folding door systems by Jeld-Wen. You can clearly see how the doors operate as it creates a inviting openness to the patio area.

Jeld-wen folding patio doors 2.JPG

Jeld-wen folding patio doors.JPG

Please stop by your nearest Home Depot, the associates there will help you with choosing a patio door as-well-as set you up for a install of your new door. Please post pictures of the area before & after, and let know how it goes.

Posted 2011-12-01T15:41:35+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+