Sign In to join the community | Help
Outdoors

New House + New yard = Whole-lot-of New Weeds

My wife and I recently purchased our first house. We've done a fair amount of work inside and are turning out attention to our yard, which in my opinion, is about 95% weeds. (please see picture below)

The front yard gets about 7 hours of direct sunlight, and the back yard is somewhat split, with a section that gets about 6 hours of direct sunlight and another part that is nearly covered the entire day. (this section has more moss growth and dirt than anything)

below is a sub-par picture of the weeds.

I'm trying to figure where to start.

Thanks!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-09-22T15:27:35+0000  by NewtoTheYardGame NewtoTheYardGame

Hi Chris

Congratulations on your new home.

Looks like you will be looking for two types of seed.  One for full sun and the other for shade/dense shade.  You have several options open to you but not a lot of time before it starts to get cold. 

Your easiest option is to just aerate your lawn, add a half inch of a good quality topper, add your grass seed, cover the grass seed with about a 1/8 to 1/4 inch of the good quality topper, add your starter fertilizer and keep it watered.  You will want to keep the topper damp all the time.  Depending on the weather, you may need to water many times a day to keep the topper looking damp.

Scotts and Pennington make a Sun Shade Mix grass seed as well as a Dense Shade grass seed mix.  The Dense Shade mix is formulated for a couple of hours of sun in the morning to full shade.

By over seeding what you have, you can keep a green lawn and then increase the amount and density of the grass.  Once the grass has been established, you can start attacking the weeds with a Weed N Feed.  I would use a Drop Spreader for best results.

For a more aggressive approach, you can remove your existing lawn using a sod cutter and then replace with sod.  You will need full sun grass and shade grass for your back yard.  Check with your local Home Depot Garden Department for sod that will work well for your area.  If necessary, you may need to condition your soil with a good quality soil amendment before adding seed or sod.

I may be a bit late in the season to think about doing sod due to fall arriving already. 

I am sure you will have some other input from our East Coast Community as well.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Rick_HD_OC

Posted 2017-09-22T18:57:25+0000  by Rick_HD_OC

Hi NewtoTheYardGame,

Welcome To The Community!!

I noticed that you are located in Virginia. The good news is that you have a variety of grasses that will grow in your area. Bermuda, Zoysia, Fescue and Kentucky Bluegrass are good varieties of lawn grass available in your area.

Fescue grass and Kentucky Bluegrass are cool season grasses and now(September) is the best time to plant them from seed. They both will tolerate the full sun conditions, and they will also tolerate the shady areas.

Bermuda and Zoysia will grow in the full sun conditions, but will not tolerate any shade. The time to plant Bermuda and Zoysia is in the Spring. Sod is the best method of establishing  these two types of lawn.

Personally, if a cool season grass is desired, cut the weeds very low to the ground, aerate the soil with a core aerator from our Tool Rental Center, and spread seeds and starter fertilizer according to the manufacturer's recommendations.

Cool season grass will enjoy the winter temperatures, as those same temperatures will kill the weeds. By the time spring produces the warm temperatures that produce new weeds, weed prevention can be applied. Pre-Emergent is safe to apply to established lawns and will protect your lawn from the invading seeds. Wait until spring to begin using weed prevention and weed control.

Choose what kind of grass it is that you desire and remove as much of the weed growth as you can, without applying any herbicides. This allows you to immediately plant grass seed for faster results. The cold temperatures will promote the cool season grass, while eliminating the weeds that had previously taken over your lawn.

Thank you for asking,

-Travis

Posted 2017-09-22T19:10:21+0000  by Travis_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+