Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

New Lawn

I live in the Detroit area.  My lawn is a mess.  Last year I rented a tiller and basically seeded everything.  Initially I had pretty good results, but then the weeds seemed to take over.  In early spring of this year, I had to have a new sewer line installed, which pretty much destroyed what little grass there was there.  The plumbers stressed to me that I had to let the ground settle before I tried to do anything to get a lawn going.  As of now, I was planning on renting a tiller and seeding the whole thing again.  How do I prevent weeds and when is it safe to use weed killer/preventative on a new lawn?  Also, is this a good time to seed a lawn or would I be better off to wait until next spring.  Thanks for any tips.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-09-27T07:10:13+0000  by sueg sueg

Hey sueg.

I flew into Flint just last week to go salmon fishing in the Pere Marquette river. I didn't catch any salmon but it sure was a fun time.

Anyways, now is a great time to overseed your lawn. Spring is a good time but fall is ideal. Weed preventers will prevent weed seeds in the ground from germinating and it will also prevent grass seed from germinating, therefore you will want to seed now, in the fall and then throw down your pre-emergent weed preventer down in the late winter, just before it warms up. This will give your lawn enough time to get established so you can prevent all the spring weeds before they start.

Grass seed selection is important and can vary given the use and exposure.

Fescue grass is a good over all grass, with many good shade loving varieties.

Perennial Ryegrass Has great tolerance to foot traffic and is recommended in yards that will have dogs or children in them.

Kentucky Bluegrass is the only one of the grasses that will continue to spread.

I recommend using a blend of these 3 grasses. A yard with more shade I might use more Fescue. A yard with children, I might use more Perennial rye but regardless I would use some Kentucky Bluegrass to have the lawn continue to thicken itself up.

Don't forget to get some Starter Fertilizer, as its high Phosphorus will help your new grass get a strong root system established before the heat of summer. Get some wheat straw while you are there, for it will hold your seed in place in the bare areas and will also hold much needed moisture to the seed.

Posted 2012-09-27T12:35:23+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL

Thanks-I see I have my work cut out for me this weekend!

Posted 2012-09-28T01:11:02+0000  by sueg

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+