Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

New Roof - permit?

I am in the process of trying to buy a house that had it's roof re-done a couple of years ago.  We went to check and see if they had a permit for it, and they did not.  There was a permit for the other remodeling that was done, but we spoke with the inspector, and it did not include the roof.

I live in Minnesota, and last year we had a ton of snow that caused an ice dam on the house.  This caused some sort of water damage in the house that was repaired (we're still waiting to read the updated seller's disclosure about exactly what the damage was).  Now we have no way of knowing if the re-roofing was done incorrectly, which could have caused the damage from the ice dam.

So my question is, can the seller go back and get a permit for the new roof, a couple of years after the fact?  I looked at my city's roofing permit information and it only mentioned getting the permit while roofing (since it needs to be inspected before it's even finished).

We want this house, and agreed in writing that the seller would obtain a permit for the roof, but we aren't sure thats even possible to do, being that it was finished in 2009. 

Any advice??

Thank you!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-01-20T14:50:16+0000  by sb2004 sb2004

Hello sb2004, and welcome to the community!

You said that you are in the process of buying the house, have you had your Home Inspector take a close look at the roof? The other option would be to get a home warranty from the seller at no expense to you since a permit was not acquired for that work, then if you experience a problem the warranty would cover it.

Tangelo signature.png

Posted 2012-01-20T17:49:23+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+