Sign In to join the community | Help
Doors & Windows

New Slab Door Sizes

We are going to replace our old flat doors with new panel ones.  I would really prefer to just change the door and not the whole frame.  Our current doors are totally builder grade and seem standard.  When I measured them they measure 80 in length but only 29 7/8"  in width (for the just the slab).  The whole door jam is barely 30".  I am wondering if i am going to have to cut these doors down or if the 30" that are being sold will fit.  If they do have to be cut down is that something that I can have done at home depot or no.  I am obviously kind of clueless here so any help is much appreciated.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-03-09T21:02:12+0000  by jen2551 jen2551

Hi Jen,

From my experience your best bet is to rent or buy one of these planners.

ryobi planner.jpg

This tool allows you to plane the door in 16th" and 32nd" increments…

Here’s how I do it;

I attach the hinges on to the door and hang the door up in place.

I close the door shut up against the jam and trace the door i.e difference that needs to be panned down by drawing the line in between the jamb ant the slab door, over the entire length of the door.

Next, I take the door down and I plan it down about 1/8 pass the drawn line.

From here all it left is to hang the door back up and install the lockset.

Depending on the location of the hinges and the lockset on the existing doors, you may need to get the “blank” slabs and cut the openings for the hinges and the lock too.

In this case you will also need to get the “Door Lock Boring Kit

lock kit.jpg

Unfortunately we do not cut  doors to size in our stores - panel saws we use are designed to be used on plywood sheet goods only.

Hope this helps and please do not hesitate to post back with any additional questions you may have.

George

Posted 2013-03-18T14:34:46+0000  by George_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+