Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

New closet dowel Project

We have a very old house and need to utilize the closet space better. The dimensions are 8 feet wide and 32 inches deep. Our easy fix right now is to install a long dowel to support all of our clothes. Previously there were 2 wooden dowels going in the depth of the closet (32 inches). We would like to use the whole 8 feet. Searching on here I couldn't find any dowels that are that long. I know I've seen them in closets supported by at least one "arm".

I think this is a project that my husband and I could do fairly easy by ourselves. Mind you we are NOT DYI'ers! Please help! Thanks!!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-03-12T22:03:57+0000  by cluelessinLG cluelessinLG

Hi CluelessinLG, this is Mike The Home Depot Answer Man.

You can purchase wooden closet dowel or closet rod by the linear foot at your local Home Depot.

It comes in several diameters and lengths up to 16 feet long. Closet rod supports are available in the hardware department. Several styles are available.

I would use at least two supports for an 8 foot long rod, as the weight of the clothing will cause the rod to sag. Place the supports at 2 to 3 foot intervals to assure even support.

Use a stud finder to locate the studs in the wall. The brackets should be located over a stud for the best support. The brackets can also double as dividers to separate his from hers or shirts from pants.

We also have metal closet rod in 2, 4, 6, or 8 foot lengths, in several finishes along with matching closet rod holders in our floor and wall department.

You might also consider looking at some of our closet organizer options. These include shelves and closet rods which allow several tiers one for shirts and one for trousers, and shelves for sweaters shoes and hats.

I hope this answers your question.

Mike,

Posted 2012-03-13T00:19:52+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+