Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Answered

New homeowner but an old lawn

I just purchased my very first house.  The inside work is manageable but the outside leaves something to be desired.  The front yard is probably 15' x 20' but it's has spotty grass to the point where you can actually count the individual blades of grass (no joke) and the back is about 10 yards x 30 yards but is filled with every type of weed possible.  I would like to start by deadening the front yard completely and putting mulch and small bushes in it and the back I would like to plant grass.  I know it's June but again I just signed for the home June 2nd.  I live in NW Pennsylvania.

Any help would be appreciated.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-06-08T07:03:27+0000  by justcallmemr justcallmemr

Hi Mister(I love the screen name),

I'm Travis from The Home Depot in Atlanta. Welcome to The Community!!!

Sometimes, a lawn is not a viable option for a yard. When you move into a new home, it may be impossible to know what factors caused the lawn to struggle. Often, there are obvious clues, like the 200 year old oak tree in the yard. If the yard is too shady for grass to grow, eliminating the weeds, applying mulch and adding some shade loving plants will give your yard the cultivated look.

Since weeds are doing well in your back yard, I think that grass should excel there also. Bluegrass and Fescue are two grasses that will do well, but should be planted in the fall. Mow the weeds for the present time and clear the weeds early in August to prepare for seeding in September. Take soil samples to your county extension service for analysis in the mean time.

Your weeds will keep erosion under control until the time is right for planting grass. Spray the area with broadleaved weed killer 6 weeks before applying grass seed(Mid July). Mow the area low after the weed killer has finished working, apply seed and starter fertilizer in September. Ideally, you will mow the new grass at least twice before you get the first snow. That grass will be great next spring.

Congratulations on acquiring your new home, good luck and keep us posted.

LawnRanger

Best Answer

Posted 2012-06-08T17:50:12+0000  by Travis_HD_ATL

I appreciate the advice and this helps me immensely because I need to focus on the inside first and mid-july would be perfect.  I will take this to heart and report on how it turns out. 

Posted 2012-06-16T10:50:34+0000  by justcallmemr

Consider seeding other beneficial plants to out-compete the broad-leaf weeds. White Clover seed is cheap, the flowers attract bees, and it looks great when mowed. It will push out things like Plantago Major (aka Plantain, White Man's Foot, or Soldier's Herb) and is very inexpensive.

I just spread a whole bunch mixed 1:1 with grass seed and should have a nice mix of grass, clover, and plantain. Monocultures are not healthy and repeated applications of herbicides and pesticides are not good for beneficial insects, pets, or you and your family.

Posted 2012-07-13T17:34:59+0000  by FrY10cK

Hey Fry10ck.  Welcome to the Community!  Thank you for your thoughts.

I also enjoy the benefit of clover in my lawn.  Although many work hard to get rid of it, I find that it looks good and attracting more bees helps my other plants as well.

Anyway, thanks for joining and please keep us updated on your projects.

Feel free to join in helping others as you have here.

Thanks,

Newf.

Posted 2012-07-13T19:03:10+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+