Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

New lawn

We are getting ready to do the whole mess for a bare backyard that has not been disturbed except new home construction. We're rototilling amended soil into the clay soil we have, raking it level, putting in a sprinkler system, and sod.  When will the sod be cut for purchase?  How do we put in the sprinkler system, soil and sod without disturbing or how do we make sure to put back the swale we have to contend with?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-03-29T17:03:00+0000  by Javabean60 Javabean60

Hello Javabean,

Welcome to the community. I'm Travis, from the Home Depot in Atlanta.

You have everything in proper order to establish your new lawn. Amending the soil begins improving the texture of the yard immediately. Installing the sprinkler system will involve trenching, but that will further mix in the amendments. The Tool Rental Center at your Home Depot has the trenching equipment to make the job easier. Check out this link to design your system: http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ContentView?pn=SF_BM_Irrigation_Interactive_Tool&langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053.

The sod will be cut to order. Sod that is delivered to the store is usually growing in the field the day before. The same holds true for the sod that is delivered to your site.

I don't know what kind of sod you are laying or where you are located. If the sod is a warm season variety (Bermuda, Zoysia or St. Augustine), it will creep as it grows. Any swale that develops can be filled with sand, rolled smooth and the grass will grow across it. You don't have to contend with it.

I hope this helped, I'm eager to see how it develops!!

LawnRanger

Posted 2011-03-29T18:21:46+0000  by Travis_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+