Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

New lawn mostly weeds some grass

I just moved into a house where the lawn is 75% weeds with some grass(not sure what kind) and I want to turn it all into grass. All the grass that i do have is in one spot with some random bits mixed in with the weeds. I dont yet have any lawn equiptment (first house) but I am getting a 3-in-1 lawn mower and weed eater soon. So what all do I need to do in order to get rid of the weeds and turn my whole yard into grass? I would prefer to not have to till the yard if possible but if there is no other way then I will do what I have to in order to get the job done. Thanks for any help let me know if you need more info

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-05-26T06:58:21+0000  by qmb9015 qmb9015

It depends on where you live but in cooler areas of the country, fall is the best time to start a new yard.  From what you're describing, you'd probably be best off killing everything with an application of RoundUp.  Ten days later you can remove the dead material.  Tilling the soil and adding some organic matter is always a good idea.  Obviously that's time consuming and depending on the size of your yard, expensive.  Then reseed.  Plan on watering the new seed a couple of times per day.

Your local county extension service can be a great resource too because they're familiar with conditions in your area and can make recommendations for grass and plants.  They will also do a soil analysis for a modest fee, which would be a good idea as well.

Posted 2013-05-26T14:23:21+0000  by Adam444

I live in north alabama so i guess i will have to wait until fall to have a decent yard. thanks for the help.

Posted 2013-05-26T18:59:24+0000  by qmb9015

Hi qmb9015, 

Northern Alabama is located in the Transition Zone, that area of the country that can grow both northern AND southern  lawns. 

Fescue is the best example of northern, or cool season grass that will grow well in Alabama. Bermuda, Zoysia and Centipede grasses will also grow in your area.

Fescue is the most shade tolerant of any of the above mentioned grasses, so if your lawn has some shady areas, planting fescue in the fall will be the best recommendation.

Bermuda, Zoysia and Centipede require at least 6 hours of sun per day, so for a full sun yard, these are excellent choices. These grasses are available as seed or as sod and should be planted during the spring or early summer for best results.

Clear your weeds before planting any kind of grass with a selective herbicide that uses 2,4-D as it's active ingredient. This will kill and broadleaved weeds without harming any of the established grass. You should wait 2 to 4 weeks after you apply weed control to apply any seed or sod.

Weed B Gon + Crabgrass.jpg WeedStop.jpg BayerAdvancedLawn.jpg

Travis 

Posted 2013-05-28T17:31:27+0000  by Travis_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+