Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Newly stained concrete peeling and chipping

I purchased the Behr semi-transparent concrete stain kit and followed the instructions to the letter. It has been right at 6 weeks and it is already starting to chip. What can I do to touch up the chipped areas? Then what should I do to prevent it from getting worse? I am very disappointed in the quality of this product. It looks beautiful but I feel that I wasted a lot of time and effort not to mention the money. Is there any type of warranty that comes with this product?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-12-16T04:40:36+0000  by Christy0430 Christy0430

I am having some chiping from my dogs simply walking on the floor. I used the product on brand new concrete floor and having chipping issues from their paws. I have read the previous post just want to know???????????

How can you fix it?

How can you prevent this from happening anymore?

Posted 2013-11-19T00:49:25+0000  by wildcat07

Christy,

The one thing you omit in the description of your preparations was the use of the bonding primer. The concrete stain clearly  states on the back label under  "Preparations":  " Apply...Behr No. 880 Concrete & Masonry Bonding Primer to increase adhesion of topcoat to the surface."

The Bonding agent is a milky liquid that is rolled on and allowed to dry for at least 4 hours before applying the stain.It feels a little tacky when dry. The bonding agent is used only on previously unpainted concrete

The finish should be removed before any further treatment, either by chemical strippers or use of a grinding machine to abraid the surface clean.

Posted 2013-02-10T01:19:19+0000  by ordjen
Here's my horrible floor after a few weeks. The floor was prepped extremely well. I even took a sander to the concrete to ensure there was no possible debris left on the surface prior to stain application.

I sure wish Behr would step up and admit their product is faulty.

Posted 2013-02-08T23:21:04+0000  by concrete2012
I wish I had seen this review about 2 weeks ago! I used the same products and also followed exact directions only to have it already peeling. Very frustrating after all the effort and money already put into it. The floor overall looks awesome but if it isn't gna last it so wasn't worth the time.
Posted 2012-02-28T16:01:13+0000  by tre979

I used the cleaner/etcher that came with the kit. I followed the directions to a T. There is nothing on the back of a chip that has come up. The instructions said to leave the cleaner/etcher on for 20 minutes but do not let the concrete dry. The concrete was so porus that it had almost dried within the 20 minute time frame in some areas.

I spoke with customer service at Behr. I sent them photos as they asked. They never called me back. I have left multiple messages with no response. The customer experience was not at all what I expected from such a reputable company. I will not purchase another Behr product if this is an indicator of the quality of not only the product but the customer service as well.

This product was HORRIBLE and the customer care was useless. They did nothing to stand behind their product. Nor has Home Depot done anything to stand behind the products that they sell.

Posted 2012-01-25T23:53:15+0000  by Christy0430

hi christy. a little more info on the type of surface prep used and the shape of the concrete before staining would be helpful. although coating failures do occur due to bad product formulation, it is very rare and  i do not feel that this is the case. if the coating is chipping i would have to guess that the concrete was not properly cleaned or etched. any oils, dust, moisture or dense troweled areas will be difficult to get proper adhesion to the substraight without proper surface prep. check the back of a chipped sample of the coating for any contamination such as dust or dirt. if the back of the sample looks clean, try a few drops of water on the area where the coating failed. if the water absorbs into the concrete  and does not bead then you may be able to abraid the surface with a concrete rubbing stone to add a profile for bonding. if water beading does occur, then the areas of the failure should be degreased and rinsed with clean water and allowed to dry before trying to recoat. before trying to recoat any of these areas, you should pressure wash and scrape the entire surface to look for more areas of loose stain that have not lifted yet. sorry for the bad news but i hope this info helps.

Posted 2011-12-25T15:16:59+0000  by mustangmike3789

Hi, Christy.

I'm so sorry to hear there are some issues with the product.

I can contact Behr for you to get more information about what is covered under the limited warranty & what would resolve the issues with the problem areas and follow up with you on this.

Please send me an email with your contact information, details, & which store location you purchased at so I can assist.

Thank you!

- Nicki (Nicki_Care@homedepot.com)

Posted 2011-12-17T18:07:43+0000  by THDCustomerCare

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+