Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

No lawn, just weeds

We just bought our first house (Colorado) with a large back yard.  we're excited to have a fabluous backyard but we don't know where to start.  It's ALL weeds. I'm not exagerating. Foxtails, ragweed, creeping charlie, dandelions, pickley lettuce, those little morning glory things, the works.  Where there's no weeds there's dirt. In fact bare dirt is very visible throughout the weeds.  So how do we go from nothing but dirt and weeds to pretty lush grass?  we have no idea where to start!   :smileysad:

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-08-12T23:32:43+0000  by Silengo Silengo

Hey Silengo.

The proper time for overseeding is upon us and here is what we need to do to get ready. Late August and early September are the ideal time for seeding your lawn. Lets kill those weeds with some Round Up. You are safe to overseed a lawn 7 to 10 days after spraying Round Up (Glysophate), where as other herbicides require a longer wait. About 4 or 5 days after spraying the grass with Round Up you will want to cut the grass (weeds) as low as you can with the mower. If the soil is hard and compacted, then you will need to rent a core aerator from your Home Depot and aerate it .

Aeration will soften up the soil, allowing your new grass to get a strong, deep root system established, which in turn will require less maintenance. In Colorado, most people use Bluegrass. For it is a strong grass when having to deal with the drought that much of Colorado is experiencing, it is one of the best at bouncing back when under duress. I would recommend putting down a mixture of Bluegrass and Perennial Rye Grass, for this will help your lawn against diseases and make it much more tolerant to wear and tear with foot traffic.

When you put down your seed, you will want to put down a starter fertilizer with it. This has a high middle number which is your Phosphorus. This is what is in charge of establishing the root system of your new lawn. You will also need to throw some wheat straw over the seed to hold it in place, keeping it from washing away and to hold much needed moisture to the seed. It is crucial that you keep the seed watered for the first 2 months to get seed properly established, where you can then cut back some on the water afterwards. Swing by the store and let us get you everything you need.

Posted 2011-08-14T14:32:19+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL

Weeds have taken over. Creepy Charlie is everywhere.You name it I got it. I live in the country,about 25 miles East of Cincinnati,Ohio. We have about 3 acres that we cut in the back of the house,in the front maybe 1/2 -1 acres. I cut the part of the yard close to the house with a push mower and around both sides and a small portion around the house in the back. My problem is I can't afford to treat the whole yard,so I have tried to do it around the house,but I think I am fighting a losing battle. I have weeds and what ever is tunneling under the ground.( No Ideal what it is,my husband thinks it mice???) it could be my neighbor for all I know. We had a couple loads of dirt dumped in the front trying to level the ground out,when it rains we have many little ponds. But,after I get the dirt spread,I have to do something with the grass. Help!!!!

By the way I am on a limited budget.   

Thanks, Beverly (ban7579)

Posted 2011-08-21T15:25:34+0000  by ban7579

Hey Beverly.

I don't know your neighbors, so I can't say for sure, but I thing what is tunneling through your yard is Moles or Voles. These ugly cridders like to eat the Grub worms that eat the roots of your grass. It is beneficial to treat the yard with an insecticide so the Grubs will stop eating your grass roots and so the moles will stop digging up your yard looking for Grubs. The Home Depot sells products like Ortho Max Bug Be Gone granular or Spectracide Triazacide granular, which probably would run you about $25 to $30 per acre to treat to fix this problem.

The weeds that you have now are warm season weeds that will be dying off when it starts cooling down. Do not put down a weed killer now, for this will then delay your throwing down grass seed by 1 month. Instead, spread and level the dirt and then you will be good to throw down your seed in a few weeks once the high temperatures are in the low 80's.

What I would recommend for your area would be a good Fescue/Kentucky Bluegrass blend or a Perennial Rye grass/Kentucky Bluegrass blend. A blend will help reduce the impact of a fungus in the lawn and it will help with foot traffic and it will help the lawn recuperate from stress or injury. When putting this down, you will want to put down a starter Fertilizer, which is high in Phosphorus which helps promote root development. Once the seed and fertilizer are down you will want to put wheat straw over top of it to hold in much needed moisture to the seed and be sure to keep the seed watered every day or every other day for the next 6 weeks. Swing by your Home Depot, for we specialize in working with budgets.

Posted 2011-08-21T16:47:27+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL

greengaint,Thank you I will checking into Home Depot in the next 2 weeks. And I think your right about my friends that are tunneling in my front yard.  This is what I thought,but I don't know anything. Its OK sometimes its worth being wrong to be right later and get the last say. And my neighboors might be tunneling but not to my yard.

Posted 2011-08-21T19:35:09+0000  by ban7579

My lawn is in the same boat. I just purchased a shortsale in central VA in a very nice neighborhood with beautiful yards. My yard is destroyed and the neighbors have even pointed out so...it's all brown weeds.

Am I correct in thinking that I should aerate the soil and then plant an anti weed grass seed and some high phosphorus fertilizer? Come spring I can throw down some weed inhibitors but right now isn't the growing season for weeds since it's starting to cool off?

Much thanks!

Posted 2011-08-28T12:45:47+0000  by pondjc

Hey pondjc.

You are exactly correct, once high temps are in the low 80 then it is a good time to put down your grass seed. You don't need to put down a weed killer for this will delay your putting down seed and the weeds that you have now are warm season weeds that will be dying off here soon when things cool down. You will aerate the soil to soften it up so the roots of the seed will grow deep making it healthier. A starter fertilizer is high in phosphorus which will also help with root development.

Around February 15, you will put down a pre-emergent to prevent weeds so you aren't trying to kill them all spring. Welcome to the community. I will be happy to answer any other questions that you have in the future.

Posted 2011-08-28T12:56:36+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL

I've read through these posts and most of them are directed either north or west of me. I have the same problem except I live on the east coast in Central Florida. Areas of my lawn are grass, but other areas are weeds. I just moved into my house and the previous tenet had an above ground pool, so I have a big dirt circle in my back yard. Am I too late in the season to start worrying about trying to grow new grass? What do I need to do? There is no irrigation system to water the lawn, so do I just use a hose and spray or do I buy one of those lawn waterers?  I have no idea where to start.

Matt

from Cocoa, FL

Posted 2011-09-20T19:31:41+0000  by mjimenez1451

Hey mjimenez451.

I am going to assume that you have St. Augustine grass. Because St. Augustine does not come in a seed, it is necessary to propagate it by putting down sprigs, plugs or sod. This is best done during the active growing season, while temperatures are still around 60 degrees or higher.

You do still have some time to get some sod established. I would recommend getting it down soon and putting a starter fertilizer with it. This grass is going to need a lot of water for the next month to help it establish properly so swing by the Depot and let the guys in the garden department get you a price on some sod. While you are there, pick up some starter fertilizer and a sprinkler.

It is not recommended fighting weeds where you are establishing grass, for this can slow its establishment and delay the grasses progress.

Sorry for the delay with the answer. I can promise you next time we will be much more prompt.

Posted 2011-09-29T14:12:43+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL
I live in west texas and I just moved into a house with front and backyards nothing but weeds.
I started pulling weeds by hand but its nothing but weeds. Not sure what I should do? 
Should I Just make everything nothing but dirt and just put on grass patches?
Posted 2019-03-25T13:46:38+0000  by Melissa21

Hi Melissa21.

Thank you for your question.

You have a challenge on both your front and back yard.  The best way to proceed to get the best results is to tackle one section a time. Digging out the weeds will return the most rewarding results because you will be taking the many of the weed seeds out along with the weeds.

It is a labor-intensive project but when done correctly, the satisfaction is immense.

The tool I would use to start this project is the Garden Fork also called a Tilling Fork, a Manure Fork among others.

https://www.homedepot.com/s/Garden%2520Fork?NCNI-5

Spring is a good time to start this project.  Do not get over whelmed.  Just do it a section at a time.  If you have in ground sprinklers, be careful not to damage any lines while you are digging up your weeds.  Sometimes the sprinkler lines are set rather shallow.  They should be set at 10-12 inches.  Just be aware of where there are if you have them.

Once you have cleared the area, you can choose between sod and seed.  Either way, you will want to add a good quality topper to give the seed or sod a good base with which to grow.  I like the Kellogg Topper, which is available at your Midland Home Depot:

4009 N Midland

Midland, TX 79707

(432) 694-8700

You can also mix in some Kellogg Garden Soil before you start your seed or sod.  This will provide more nutrients for the root system of your grass.

Sod will be the quickest way to have a full lawn.  The preparation for seed or sod is about the same.

Check with your local Home Depot Garden Department to see what grass seed or sod will be best suited for your area.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Rick_HD_OC

Posted 2019-03-26T17:17:03+0000  by Rick_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+