Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Noisy Pipes!

Gosh It was hard to come up with a subject. I need some advice or input. 

We have a bedroom that's currently sandwiched with 2 bathrooms.  And of course, the shower is on the wall adjacent to the bedroom in each bath (yea, don't get me started on how SUPID it was for the builder to do this..)  

Anyway, there is NO noise absorbtion.  I can be standing in the bathroom and talk to the person in the bedroom plain as day, so taking a shower at 6am for work is risky because we don't want to wake the bed room's occupants (toddler.) 

Can we do anything to get some noise reduction, sound insulation, something!?!?!?

we were thinking sound board like what they use to reduce noise in home theaters bur im afraid it will both break our bank and look DUMB!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-02-15T17:46:28+0000  by mommyg318 mommyg318

Hello mommyg318 and welcome to the community.

I can understand your frustration i have a little one at home that wakes up at the slightest noise.

My problem it's not a bathroom it is getting to the bathroom over squeaky hardwood floors. :smileymad:

There are many different techniques you can use to make an effective sound barrier.

In your situation being that rooms are already finished I would recommend to use an additional layer of 1/2 gypsum over and existing adjacent wall to dampen the sound from bathrooms.

You have two options when it comes to low cost drywall sound damping.

First option would be like I mentioned already to glue a layer of drywall over an existing one using a viscosity damping glue.

green glue.jpeglayers.jpg

This specialty product  we do not carry in our stores and it is not available by special order for us, but if you search this product online you will find a few retailers.

In addition something that you should be aware of is that if you decide to add one more layer of drywall you will need to extend any door jams and casings on that wall to accommodate for additional thickness.

Your second option when it comes to drywall dampening would be to order a drywall that already has a layer of integrated constrained damping such is Quiet Rock.

And finally you always  have an option of removing an existing drywall and adding  insulation in to the wall cavity to improve soundproofing.

sound batt.gif 

Adding a layer of sound attenuation fiberglass can greatly improve noise reduction.

Something else you can use and we have available by special order is a specialty product called Safe'n'Sound.

Safe'n'Sound is specifically designed for soundproofing and it has a high density that makes it an excellent barrier.

roxul.jpg 

I would not recommend adding any kind of foam type soundproofing products over an existing wall being that some are highly combustible and not suitable for residential applications.

Hope that helps and again welcome to the community.

Posted 2011-02-15T20:26:22+0000  by George_HD_CHI

I told my husband about the solutions and he informed me that there is no insulation between the walls. (or in any indoor walls.)  Is it possible to pump insulation from attic, into these walls? LIke the cellulose or foam? i suppose no if there are studs running horizontally between the vertical beams ... instead of just studs going vertically throughout.

Posted 2011-02-16T04:23:36+0000  by mommyg318

Good morning, Mommyg, I just got of the phone with the " At home services" rep at my store, and we do not do blown in insulation in walls...attics only. But, we do rent the machine to do this, so you could do this yourself if you don't want to hire someone.

Your walls should be hollow top to bottom, except where to cross piece to hold the pipes is located.

To use the blown-in insulation, you need to cut a four inch hole at the top of the wall between each stud, and one at the bottom, This is so air can get out. Now each one of these holes will need to be patched, but if you use a hole saw, the piece that is cut out can then be used as a patch. A trick,though, is to remove the trim, and cut the hole behind the trim. This makes more work, but makes the resulting patch a little less noticeable if you drywall skills are less than stellar.

This won't make the room sound proof, but should kill the noise enough to where you can hum loudly in the shower, but operatic arias' are probably out of the question.

Check with your local store about rental prices, but make sure to do all the prep before renting to save on cost.

I hope this helps, so let me know, I'm here all day.

Ray the Hammer

Posted 2011-02-16T13:49:38+0000  by TheHammer

For my 2cents worth unless it has changed over the years do nouse the celulose blow in.or similiar product.

It is only fire resistant for 5 years or so and then the retardant starts filtering out and you have nothing but a bunch of newspaper that this nothing but a fire bomb. Now this may have improved so I stand to be corrected.

Use fiberglass or rockwool more expensive but safer in the long term.

Posted 2011-02-27T17:47:20+0000  by Doc1

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+