Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Non shrinking products

I have just finished building a room in the basement and ran into 2 frustrating problems. First  the joint compound ( mud ) used for the drywall joints would shrink after drying requiring several coats to get it flush with the dry wall.  2nd I ran into the same situation when trying to fill the holes in the molding after counter sinking the nails, after filling the holes 3 or 4 times it was finally flush enough to paint. I find this very time consuming. Are there any products that can eliminate having to do it over and over?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-09-23T15:47:24+0000  by amxer amxer

Hey there amxer,

Welcome to the community!~

Sorry to hear about your project problems, but I think we may have a solution that will keep you from ever having to do all that extra work again...

As far as the joint compound is concerned, doing more than one coat of mud doesn't necessarily mean you're doing anything wrong. Since I'm not sure what type of joint compound you were using, I'll state that while pre-mixed versions in the bucket are easier to work with for novices, they do tend to crack easier than their powder counterparts.

SHEETROCK Brand Easy Sand 45 18 lb. Setting-Type Joint Compound.jpg

In the future you can opt to go one of two ways:

• Apply your first coat using an un-mixed powder compound, which sets nicely and isn't as prone to shrinking. However it's very difficult to sand, so that's why you will want to use a pre-mixed compound as your topping coat, and use that to sand it down to level.
  • Use a lightweight-style pre-mixed compound which is also less prone to shrinkage. An example would be SHEETROCK Lightweight All-Purpose Compound seen below. This particular one also has a built-in dust control so that makes it much easier on you when you're doing your final sanding. 

Sheetrock Dust Control.jpg

Getting to the moulding issue...what particular product were you using? Most wood fills are relatively easy to sand and then paint over. Were you perhaps using a wood putty? I have a lot of luck using Minwax Stainable Wood Filler, it's easy to use and easy to paint over once you are done. Perhaps the product you were using wasn't really meant to be sanded. 

Let me know if that helps, and if I can elaborate more on the specific products that you used = )

Posted 2011-09-23T16:43:28+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+