Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Answered

Old paint

I've been doing touch-ups around the house with a 11-year-old bucket of paint.  It seems to be working alright, but I've got two questions:

1) Does a bucket of paint ever get too old? Am I going to regret using this?

2) I'll need more paint soon, but there's a small splotch of paint on the label.  Is there enough visible info here for me to order more?  And will it still match?  I assume tinting technology hasn't changed significantly, but I don't know.  Or maybe the base product formula has changed and the resultant color won't be quite the same!?

Thanks!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-10-14T19:00:32+0000  by koryp koryp

I am surprised that the "touch up" is going so well.  Usually there are a lot a variables that effect the outcome. Things like fading, paint consistency, and sheen are just a few examples..If it's working, then hooray!:smileyvery-happy:

red paint.JPG

Some thoughts:

• Eggshell sheens tend to increase their intensity with each added layer. This will sometimes result in a "patch work" look with differing shiny spots all over the wall. Painting whole sections or even a wall from corner to corner fixes this.
  • The color on the wall will usually fade slightly (due to exposure) and the colors may not be exact.
  • The colorless used back in 2002 have changed and following the code on the original label will not work.
  • Paint a small amount of what is left in the bucket (2 coats) on a white piece of paper and bring it in to your Home Depot for a color match. *only do this if you feel that the paint right out of the bucket is matching the wall exactly.
  • If you feel that there is too much of a variation between the two, then bring a piece of the existing color on the wall to match instead. (cut a small portion of the wall with a utility knife).
  • lastly, feather out the touched up area to help it blend in better.

Best Answer

Posted 2013-10-14T20:04:56+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL
Thanks Kevin. Yes I have been feathering out around the touched-up areas with my roller a bit and the results have been pretty good. I do see some of the variable intensity of the sheen in places, but not too bad. And I've found that when I do paint corner-to-corner, the paint seems to stretch pretty far--I suspect since the color match is so good, maybe the paint doesn't need to soak into every crevice.
I'll paint a sheet of paper and see if I can get a color match at the store tonight.
Thanks again.
Posted 2013-10-14T21:09:35+0000  by koryp

Actually, in this case, the old formula should work. About  a  year ago, Behr  reformulated its colorants to the new, current  no VOC version.  For the most part, the intensity of the colorants did not change. The exceptions were Blue, Green, and to a lesser degree Black. As the formula on the old label contains none of these, it should still generate a good match.

The data on the new sticker will look a little different because the fractions have changed from 48th's and 98th's of an ounce to all 384th's of an ounce. Also the colorants themselves now have an "L" behind them to denote the new low VOC formula.

Whether a paint is still good after several years depends largely upon how it was stored. If there was little air in the top of the can and the can was stored in a temperate place without freezing or over heating, it will probably still be good.  I recently re-painted and touched up some sections of my house. The 7 year old  housepaint was good as new.  Back then, having only about a gallon in the bottom of the 5 gallon bucket, I bought an empty 1 gallon can and filled it to the rim with the remaining paint. Several years later, I was ever so glad that I had!

Posted 2013-10-15T02:38:59+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+