Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

One garage, many surfaces

I want to paint the interior of a rented, unheated garage white, to help with visibility and minimize dust on the "toys" I keep there.

There are multiple surfaces: unpainted particle board, unpainted plywood, unpainted homosote (pressed sawdust), painted brick and painted cottage board. I tired rolling the particle board but, you guessed it, it became "fall apart ical" if I rolled with too much pressure.  It doesn't need a great paint job, just cover the surface in white.

Any ideas on the multi surfaces? Also, estimate of paint needed? Latex? Roll vs. brush?

Thank you!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-04-05T17:39:52+0000  by lindy lindy

Hi Lindy, Welcome to the Community.

With multiple surfaces in the garage I would recommend that you spray paint the interior. You can purchase a hand held paint sprayer at your local Home Depot. Wagner makes an electric spray gun that will make the job a snap.

I know you may want to keep you cost low, but by the time you purchase a paint roller handle, roller covers, paint pan,  paint brushes etc., you will have spent half the cost of a paint sprayer and will still have much more work to do.

I would prime the unfinished materials first. Behr makes a great primer sealer, and their Premium Plus Paint will give you a beautiful finish. I would use a gloss or simigloss enamel for the best light reflection.

As to the amount of paint needed, measure the square footage of your garage, (length x with) and then go to your local Home Depot. The paint associates will assist you in determining the amount of paint you need based on the square footage of your garage.

I hope this answers your question

Mike,

Posted 2012-04-05T18:33:06+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+