Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

Oops- Grouting Mosaic

I put up a mosaic border in the tub surround. But after grouting I realized the mosaic looked really dull and no matter how much I scrubbed I couldn't get it back to it's original color. I did some research and it looks like I was supposed to seal it first. Is there any way to correct the problem at this point. I really should have researched first :( help!!!
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2014-01-16T22:13:27+0000  by Christianh127 Christianh127

Hello Christianh127 and welcome to The Community.  We are glad that you are here.

I think we can help you, but we will need a little more information from you:

* What type of mosaic border did you install polished natural stone (like a marble), non-polished natural stone, or mixed media (a mosaic that includes glass or stainless components with the stone)?  

* Did you use a cement-based grout (like Polyblend from the store)?

SULFAMIC ACID CLEANER.jpg  Nano scrub.jpg

It sounds like you have grout haze (grout residue) on the border.  The good news is that it can be removed using the correct product.  Be sure to thoroughly read the instructions and follow the safety information when working with these removers.  Ensure you have adequate ventilation in the bathroom.

* If you used a cementitious grout and your border is glass or non-polished natural stone, you can use Custom Building Products Sulfamic Acid Cleaner (shown on the left). 

* If you used a cementitious grout and your border is polished natural stone or glazed tile, you should NOT use an acid product.  You should use Custom Building Products Aqua Mix NanoScrub (shown on the right) for most surfaces, including porcelain, ceramic, polished and unpolished natural stone (such as granite, limestone, marble, slate, and travertine), quarry, saltillo, and terra-cotta.

Once the grout haze has been removed, you will need to seal the border and the grout.  Depending upon the type of mosaic, you may need different products to seal the border separately from the grout.

Please keep us posted on your project.

Posted 2014-01-17T15:28:34+0000  by Eileen_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+