Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Opening in the Wall

First post - Looking for design ideas to prevent my little guy from climbing through an opening in the wall. I would like not to cover completely because it opens the room and provides natural light through the room.

Also, I'm unable to upload an image - any suggestion what could be preventing this?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-03-09T20:13:16+0000  by bramwell bramwell

Here are the rough dimensions of the opening

41.5 height * 57.5 wide *9.25 deep
Posted 2013-03-09T20:15:02+0000  by bramwell

Hey bramwell,

Thanks for your post, and welcome to the community!

Before we get started on a solution for your opening to make it kid-proof, I'll need to get some specific information from you before continuing.

• Was this something that can be easily removed after building it or can it be taken down?
  • Did you have a material preference (i.e. metal, plexiglass?)

Let us know, and we can team up and get you the right answer to keep your little explorer in place and still give the natural light you prefer to come into the room.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Posted 2013-03-09T20:22:22+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

I would prefer this to be wood and not removalable. I'm thinking along the lines of an open bookself. The opening is in the middile of wall, with a sofa below.

Posted 2013-03-09T20:30:20+0000  by bramwell

Hey, an open bookshelf would be a perfect idea for that opening!

Since you already have the measurements, I would recommend to use 8" deep shelves, so you have a slight 1.5" edge to still place things on the bottom of the opening.

We had a neat project a year or so ago with taking a space and using it to make a diagonal bookshelf. Here's the link below to find out more information and a step by step guide to it:

http://community.homedepot.com/t5/Indoor-Decor/Diagonal-shelves-from-commercial/m-p/36203/highlight/true#M50

In either case, you'd just need to make sure that there is some wood down the middle to give support to the books. In the diagonal version, the design will distribute that evenly. Check out that link and let me know what you think.

If it's not your cup of tea, we can mull over some more ideas, but in either case, stick to an 8 inch deep shelf. And to keep costs down, try to get it in unfinished yellow pine so you can stain or paint it in a color of your choice.

Hope to hear from you again.

Posted 2013-03-09T21:09:04+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
Love the idea, but I looking for something with straight shelves.
Posted 2013-03-09T22:40:30+0000  by bramwell

Hey no worries,

Based on the opening size (41.5 height x 57.5 wide x 9.25 deep) you have several options to consider. In either case, I would strongly suggest to at least have one upright 8" inch piece of wood at the midpoint of the opening, 28.75 inches on center.

To better illustrate this point, I have designed below a very basic 4 shelf system that you can refer to.

Photobucket

Keep in mind that you can alter this with more supports or more shelves as you see fit. I chose to have the bottom shelf a little taller so you can keep any larger items or books there, and the lighter items further up on the 3 shelves.

The real trick is to use a bracket or fasteners that can support the weight of the shelves. Use coarse threaded screws to go into the sidewalls at least 1 inch in length. If you'd like, you can use corner braces as shown below to support the shelves from the bottom.

Everbilt 2-1/2 in. Zinc Plated Double-Wide Corner Braces (2-Pack)

Let us know if this design has assisted you, and even if not, we can go with other options as well. Hope to hear from you again bramwell.

Cheers.

Posted 2013-03-11T15:25:02+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+