Sign In to join the community | Help
Outdoors

Organic Gardening Tips

User-added image                  

Organic fruit and vegetables have gone from being a health food specialties to a sought after option of many health conscious growers. A question I get very often is “what makes something organic and how can I grow organic?”

Well, the term ‘organic’ is mandated by the USDA and refers to the way farmers grow and process agricultural products, including crops and livestock. The USDA requires organic products to meet specific standards that regulate how such foods are grown, handled, and processed.

Many consumers are concerned that conventionally grown produce contains harmful chemicals that damage our health. Organic foods are not necessarily 100 percent free of pesticides, although pesticide levels generally fall within the allowable limits.

There are several other reasons to grow organic, including taste preferences and concerns about the effects of conventional farming practices on the environment. In the past I’ve grown my own garden with fish emulsion, grass clippings, and conventional fertilizers as well. However this year I’m planning on trying to grow a 100% organic garden and The Home Depot has a new line of products to make that possible. 

For Planting I’m using Dr. Earth Home Grown Vegetable Garden Planting Mix which has MixGreen-fed Earthworm Castings, Cold Water Kelp Meal, Wild-Caught Fish Bone Meal, Soybean Meal and a variety of rich organic nutrients. 

For Fertilizing I am using Dr. Earth Home Grown Fertilizer which is infused with beneficial soil microbes and other natural ingredients which builds soil health, promotes a superior harvest, with larger and more abundant, nutritious and tasty crops.

If I get some bugs there is Dr. Earth Vegetable Garden Insect Garden. With a potent blend of Rosemary Oil, Sesame Oil, Peppermint Oil, Thyme Oil, Cinnamon Oil, Malic Acid and Garlic Extract we can be sure it’s organic.

I plan on growing a couple of other tomatoes and herbs to see what are the differences are in size, quantity, etc. How about some other backyard growers sharing photos and information on your gardens?

Happy Gardening,

Coach Dave
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-04-20T22:25:17+0000  by Dave_HD_OC Dave_HD_OC

Greetings Dave,

Great post! The Dr. Earth products offer a great solution for our customers that wish to garden as organically as possible.

The organic line of Dr. Earth products has only been on the shelves a few weeks here in the Northeast, and they have already been widely received, and sought after.

I plan on using the Dr. Earth, organic potting mix to do some container gardening for Bonnie herbs, and vegetables.

Happy growing to you!    Maureen

Posted 2015-04-23T12:57:00+0000  by Maureen_HD_BOS

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+